Jealous See

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I am not ignorant as I have said before, and there is a reason why I choose not to use it. As a PC builder, I must know all aspects of all operating systems and know how to advise my customers. Now as you noticed, I do not bash Linux. I know its strengths, and weaknesses. However, you are arguing about whether Windows is even an OS. Would you like me to show you a bit of Windows?

A bit later, I will post back all the unrefuted points you have either passed off with sly comments, sarcasm and ignorance.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Lol.

Twinkie, clearly you haven't tried debating anything with ichwar before. He uses this type of ignorant sarcasm all he time. For example, just try pointing out to him that his beloved new toy, the iPod Touch, which he keeps reminding us of, actually isn't a proper mobile/cellphone!

You're wasting your time using logic on him - he can't follow it. Just call him names, he likes that!

He can't even understand that it is as much the programs he runs on the Linux OS, as the OS itself, that present his security risk.

He also can't understand that there is more to life than changing software every five minutes. I've been learning new operating systems & software since the Sinclair ZX80. I've used numerous forms of Basic programming language on home computers & endless handhelds, different incarnations of DOS, endless OS's & platforms on each new PDA & mobile phone I've owned, & of course all the thousands of different software applications which come with each of those systems.

After a while one gets bored, exhausted, & irritated by the continuous changes, many of which are made merely for changes sake (ie. to sell more products). One wants to settle on something which one is happy enough & familiar with, & which one has sufficient expertise with, for it to get the job done.

For me that product is Windows. Sure, I can keep changing OS's & software forever more, in search of the next great thing. But I don't want to. Been there. Done that. Plenty of times already.

So for the time being, I'm sticking with Windows. There's still more than enough mileage in it for my purposes. And yes, I may well change my OS again at some point in the future - but only when I really need to, when it suits me to, & when I have enough time to become master of my new environment. And NOT because some young 16 yr old is getting all excited by his new toy, having had very few "toys" before this one.

Until I choose to go to all the trouble of changing my OS & all the associated software & data installations because it is right for me (& not because it is right for ichwar), kindly BACK-OFF.

Or to put it into the non-logical terms which ichwar understands;

Linux smells, just like ichwar!
bleh.gif

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol.

Twinkie, clearly you haven't tried debating anything with ichwar before. He uses this type of ignorant sarcasm all he time. For example, just try pointing out to him that his beloved new toy, the iPod Touch, which he keeps reminding us of, actually isn't a proper mobile/cellphone!

You're wasting your time using logic on him - he can't follow it. Just call him names, he likes that!

He can't even understand that it is as much the programs he runs on the Linux OS, as the OS itself, that present his security risk.

He also can't understand that there is more to life than changing software every five minutes. I've been learning new operating systems & software since the Sinclair ZX80. I've used numerous forms of Basic programming language on home computers & endless handhelds, different incarnations of DOS, endless OS's & platforms on each new PDA & mobile phone I've owned, & of course all the thousands of different software applications which come with each of those systems.

After a while one gets bored, exhausted, & irritated by the continuous changes, many of which are made merely for changes sake (ie. to sell more products). One wants to settle on something which one is happy enough & familiar with, & which one has sufficient expertise with, for it to get the job done.

For me that product is Windows. Sure, I can keep changing OS's & software forever more, in search of the next great thing. But I don't want to. Been there. Done that. Plenty of times already.

So for the time being, I'm sticking with Windows. There's still more than enough mileage in it for my purposes. And yes, I may well change my OS again at some point in the future - but only when I really need to, when it suits me to, & when I have enough time to become master of my new environment. And NOT because some young 16 yr old is getting all excited by his new toy, having had very few "toys" before this one.

Until I choose to go to all the trouble of changing my OS & all the associated software & data installations because it is right for me (& not because it is right for ichwar), kindly BACK-OFF.

Or to put it into the non-logical terms which ichwar understands;

Linux smells, just like ichwar!
bleh.gif
Obviously, you didn't read my post before where I said that if you wanted to put junk on your system I wasn't going stop you.

Nonetheless, you seem intent on bashing linux when from what you say, I can conclude that you haven't tried linux recently. Within the past few years, linux has changed so much that your talk about trying so many different things many years ago is totally irrelevant. Have you tried linux within the past 2 years? If not, you really can't make an informed conclusion on the usability of linux.

And, from what you say, you also have no experience with the iTouch. It is, contrary to what you've been posting all over the forums, a tool, not a toy.
But I'm not here to defend the iTouch, apple does a good job of that.

I suggest that you get up-to-date with technology. Things have changed alot since last you used them. ;)

zen-r

Reaction score
I suggest that you get up-to-date with technology, then keep doing this hundreds of times over & over, then see if you still feel the need to do it again when your current system is working fine.

I never bashed Linux, I bashed you for telling other people repeatedly, all over the forum, that they would be better off with Linux. Since you can't possibly know other people's needs or circumstances, you can't possibly tell them that you know what is best for them, as you have been doing.

I don't really think that the iPod is a toy, but I think that you are behaving like a kid with a new toy, over it, & over Linux.

tridge

Reaction score
Funny to read all of this. I want to poke my head in! I ran slackware back when I was about 13 until I was 15 or so, this was back in 1997ish...It was an awesome OS when Windows 98 held the range, but now I enjoy my Windows 7 x64 RC1 (*Free for a year mind you). I'll be purchasing the software when it is available. Linux is great, for the people who want/need it, but for others I just recommend using what they are used to. With how fast things move lately, I wouldn't even recommend someone switching from Mac to Windows or the other way around.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It'll last forever because of the way linux is designed. Any malware needs the root password to be able to do harm. Since the normal user account doesn't have access to the root password, malware can never harm whole system, only individual accounts which can be backed up, deleted, and recreated from another account in the worst scenario.

C'mon, are you serious?

Imagine the scenario. User is browsing the 'net, and stumbles across "Speed up your computer.sh", it'll say on the page "Hey, you must run this as the root user to fully optimize your computah". Uh oh. Your argument has just been pied in the face. Sorry. Because the normal user account DOES have access to the root password.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
In ubuntu, running as root is 'sudo' not 'su'. This will only affect that users account not the whole system.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
lol. At the rate you all are opposing linux, I'm never going to get that popular now will I?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I suggest that you get up-to-date with technology, then keep doing this hundreds of times over & over, then see if you still feel the need to do it again when your current system is working fine.
I don't need to get up-to-date with technology. I already am, and I'm staying up-to-date so I never will need to 'get' up-to-date again.

I never bashed Linux, I bashed you[
lol, Isn't that just as bad? :biggrin:

I don't really think that the iPod is a toy, but I think that you are behaving like a kid with a new toy, over it, & over Linux.
Hmmm, I seem to remember you were belittling the iPod and pushing your 'phone' as if you thought it was the best coolest gadget in the world. I wonder if you've ever had a toy before you got that phone. ;)

zen-r

Reaction score
Anyone else think ichwar is just talking complete b****** now?

Missing the point on every level?

I'll leave him to get back to posting "pretty" pictures of his desktop. :)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'll leave him to get back to posting "pretty" pictures of his desktop. :)
As I said before, if you like your ugly unfunctionable winDoze, I'll not force linux upon you, but everyone deserves to be able to make an informed choice! :biggrin:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh God, here we go. Now you've just gone and lost whatever credibility you had left.

"ugly unfunctionable winDoze"
a) it's not ugly, it's a user interface. And not a bad looking one at that. It's perfectly funtional.
b) unfunctionable is not a word.
c) ... winDoze... really?

Please someone, close this.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
"ugly unfunctionable winDoze"
a) it's not ugly, it's a user interface. And not a bad looking one at that. It's perfectly funtional.
b) unfunctionable is not a word.
c) ... winDoze... really?
Well, beuty is in the eye of the beholder.
Unfunctionable is not in the dictionary but it still conveys my message just fine! :biggrin:
winDoze... anyone who has ever tried running vista on a p3 computer knows that that's exactly what it does! :naughty:
While I will admit I noticed a speed increase when I upgraded to a core2, I noticed an even bigger speed jump in linux.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
1. Unfunctionable doesn't convey any message.
2. Anyone who has tried running Vista on a PIII is an idiot.
3. Good for you.

zen-r

Reaction score
It looks like the other thread, where ichwar is also working particularly hard to sell Linux, isn't going too well for him either.

The "victim" has gone through the laborious process of setting up Linux, had endless conflicting advice from people, & now, less than 1 month from when they first installed it, their Linux PC has stopped working!

Here's ichwar's last quote there, on the subject ;

What update did you install? You need to set ubuntu to only install essential updates. If you let it install the non tested, it can mess somethings up.

:lol:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It looks like the other thread, where ichwar is also working particularly hard to sell Linux, isn't going too well for him either.

The "victim" has gone through the laborious process of setting up Linux, had endless conflicting advice from people, & now, less than 1 month from when they first installed it, their Linux PC has stopped working!

Here's ichwar's last quote there, on the subject ;

:lol:
If you install a bunch of non tested betas on winDos, it will also stop working.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Windows update doesn't let you install betas.
Wow, are you saying that all those updates that I've installed that have ruined my installation have been fully tested releases?!! :eek4: