Jealous See

zen-r

Reaction score
No, I'm saying that perhaps Linux isn't all that you've been making it out to be, either. :biggrin:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, I'm saying that perhaps Linux isn't all that you've been making it out to be, either. :biggrin:
Hmmm, could you explain to me how saying that windos doesn't make betas available through windows update is the same as saying that linux isn't what I'm making it out to be?

wolflock

Reaction score
Wish I had learned Unix instead of MS Dos when I was younger. I would love to know how to use linux properly. It is way better than Windows IMHO.

Regards
Wolflock

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yawn. Why bother.
Is that what you say when you're speechless? There obviously can't be too much good about winDos, otherwise you wouldn't be dumbfounded so easily.:naughty:
Edit:
Wish I had learned Unix instead of MS Dos when I was younger. I would love to know how to use linux properly. It is way better than Windows IMHO.

Regards
Wolflock
You can still use linux with out knowing unix. :)

Last edited:

wolflock

Reaction score
Agreed. But it is not as user friendly as Windows. More powerful, yes, but can be difficult for those who dont know it.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Agreed. But it is not as user friendly as Windows. More powerful, yes, but can be difficult for those who dont know it.
Difficult for those who don't know it? No more difficult than winDos is for those who don't know it.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I dispute your claim that Linux is more powerful than Windows... It's something that's thrown in to many discussions, and seemingly always goes unqualified...

Anyway, I'm out down the rifle range in about... now. Something that interests me significantly more than proving you wrong regarding the infinitely debated (on here) Windows vs Linux. Let's just agree that those who want to work ON their computers use Linux, and those who want to work WITH their computers use Windows. Because, let's face it, Linux STILL requires more effort and knowhow to set up than Windows. I *still* have to manually edit xorg.conf to tell X to use my laptops screen by default (instead of the external display).

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I dispute your claim that Linux is more powerful than Windows... It's something that's thrown in to many discussions, and seemingly always goes unqualified...

Anyway, I'm out down the rifle range in about... now. Something that interests me significantly more than proving you wrong regarding the infinitely debated (on here) Windows vs Linux. Let's just agree that those who want to work ON their computers use Linux, and those who want to work WITH their computers use Windows. Because, let's face it, Linux STILL requires more effort and knowhow to set up than Windows. I *still* have to manually edit xorg.conf to tell X to use my laptops screen by default (instead of the external display).
You got your analogy wrong. Those who want to work use windos. Those who don't let linux do their work for them! ;)

zen-r

Reaction score
You got your analogy wrong. Those who want to work use windos. Those who don't let linux do their work for them! ;)

Someone seems to be forgetting how much "work" their victim already put in to trying to get Linux to work, & now it doesn't work at all! ;

http://forums.x10hosting.com/computers-technology/99512-installing-linux-7.html#post566133

Learning to use Linux if you are already used to using Windows = "work"

Saving & backing up all your Windows data = "work"

Uninstalling Windows = "work"

Installing Linux = "work"

Learning how to use Linux = "work"

Trying to get Linux to work properly = "work"

Installing all your Linux hardware drivers = "work"

Earning the money to pay for all the new Linux applications which you will want, to replace all the applications which you already got for Windows = "work"

Installing all these new Linux applications = "work"

Trying to learn how to use all these new Linux applications = "work"

Transferring all you old data to your new installation = "work"

etc.
etc.

Just how much "work" do you want us to do?

My Windows installation already works just fine, thank you!

Ichwar, are you going to pay me for all the new software I will need, to replace my countless Windows applications, & all the time I will need to perform all of the above operations, so that I can have a working Linux installation which replaces my already working Windows application?

If so, please forward me the money, & I will be happy to make a start with Linux.

If not, perhaps you should learn to recognise when you are talking nonsense. :thefinger

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score

Ok, let's just agree that I'm right and you're wrong, and go our separate ways. I tried Linux on here. Let's just say that after too long pissing about with Linux trying to get it to work, and then not even 5 minutes learning how to use the Windows recovery console later, I'm exactly where I started. And pretty ok with that.

And no, I didn't get my analogy wrong at all. Please do not wink at me when you are not female or hot. "kthxbai"

zen-r

Reaction score
Ok, let's just agree that I'm right and you're wrong, and go our separate ways. I tried Linux on here. Let's just say that after too long pissing about with Linux trying to get it to work, and then not even 5 minutes learning how to use the Windows recovery console later, I'm exactly where I started. And pretty ok with that.

And no, I didn't get my analogy wrong at all. Please do not wink at me when you are not female or hot. "kthxbai"

Rofl. :lol:

(Rep'd!
reputation.gif
)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As I said, if you're ok with walking your computer, winDoze will do the trick, but I do prefer my computer to run, and so I use Linux to get it to do that.

Good then, I'll grin at you! :biggrin:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
[sarcasm]haha[/sarcasm]

That's not a desktop, just a console.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Desktop's are for newbies, console is were it's at bro.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
In that case, the linux console still beats the windos console.

It's not quite so scary, now is it?

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 28

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sure, why not. That's the code to install stuff on linux. We don't download .exes or that kind of stuff, we just do apt-get install <package name>!

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
"We don't"? So you're admitting it's a cult?
Plus, why would you want to emulate the Mac UI? If Linux is all about 'freshness', being unique, etc... why would you try to make it like something else?
I don't understand. I'd rather spend time down the rifle range or up in the sky than farting around trying to get Linux to ... demolecularise a cupcake. Or whatever it is the zen-r thing does. I'm sure our very own forum member 'zen-r' can do that.