Latest update news thread response: 6/22/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

taha116

Reaction score
The same thing has happened to me. I was suspended for high resource usage (using Fantastico to install a discussion board) and tried to unsuspend and it was pending. Then I could not log in later today due to the unknown error. I was able to log in a few minutes ago and I did the unsuspend again. But now I am unable to log in to my account due to the unknown error again. I am on Lotus.

Agreed totally. Wish i could disagree with you and get like 10 posts out of it but cant. o well

Here we go again, my forums arent working anymore... again, and neither is cPanel, they started working just a couple hours ago.

Last edited:

gilyak

Reaction score
well, the mail still not operational.
i can send the e-mail from my account, but when i send a mail from another address or just reply on sent mail i have a message "undelivered, address unknown, code 5.1.1"
and the biggest problem as i can see it - there is not enough information from administration.
i would be happy to know, if work on server is completed and that error with the e-mail is only problem in my account or something in global has to be done yet to make it operational?

zer0ne1337

Reaction score
Hi Corey, as you can see that lots of people are suspended...

I have a small suggestion for you, I think if you implement Alternative PHP Cache (APC) tool or eAccelerator or xcache or similar PHP optimizer then this will increase the performance of the server while reducing the load...

The best part is they are freely available and opensource too.. Please consider adding one to the server. Also independent reports have shown that APC's gains over Zend Optimizer's can be fairly significant. Read here... or here... :)

What do other members say about this? Please say what you think...

Last edited:

rlodge

Reaction score
I tried to see if my website would open this AM and all I got was

This Account Has Been Suspended
Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

I already have a support ticket open for a possible problem with the server move.

Neither my site nor my cPanel have been accessible for a few days so I don't know what the high usage could be. I don't want to submit another ticket since the staff is already swamped.

I can't seem to find where it's posted that the high usage suspensions are a result of the server move and that it will be fixed when the upgrades / updates are done.

Thanks

zen-r

Reaction score
I tried to see if my website would open this AM and all I got was

I already have a support ticket open for a possible problem with the server move.

Neither my site nor my cPanel have been accessible for a few days so I don't know what the high usage could be. I don't want to submit another ticket since the staff is already swamped.

I can't seem to find where it's posted that the high usage suspensions are a result of the server move and that it will be fixed when the upgrades / updates are done.

Thanks

Everything is in News section!

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/98910-high-resource-usage.html

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/98836-update-6-22-09-a.html

(Unless you have already seen these threads, & you are asking about something else?)

moinkhan

Reaction score
Has anyone been successfully transferred from starka to stoli? I couldn't find any thread in the news or server alerts forums to know for sure if all accounts have been transferred over. My website (used to be on starka) is down since 6/18/09, and I can't login to account panel. I opened a ticket on 6/21/09, and yet to receive any human response.

merrillmck

Reaction score
My site (well it wasn't really a site but a placeholder) is completely down (just redirects to bing.com) and I can't login to www.x10hosting.com.

:biggthump hands the admins some coffee to keep them awake.

Edit - My site is back to its normal error, but I get a fatal error trying to login to www.x10hosting.com .

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
As suggested in this thread I have added a small pop-up to the ticket submission asking people to read the news before submitting.

-Corey

zen-r

Reaction score
As suggested in this thread I have added a small pop-up to the ticket submission asking people to read the news before submitting.

-Corey

You see, Corey does listen to good suggestions from people here.

Nice one!

(I look forward to seeing what other improvements get introduced to the over-all layout & functioning of the website, as & when you get time to look at things) :)

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Corey, as you can see that lots of people are suspended...

I have a small suggestion for you, I think if you implement Alternative PHP Cache (APC) tool or eAccelerator or xcache or similar PHP optimizer then this will increase the performance of the server while reducing the load...

The best part is they are freely available and opensource too.. Please consider adding one to the server. Also independent reports have shown that APC's gains over Zend Optimizer's can be fairly significant. Read here... or here... :)

What do other members say about this? Please say what you think...

I am not an expert on this but I remember looking into it 2 or so years ago... from what I understand it stores the executed PHP code in memory saving time next time it needs the same code. The problem we ran into is that we have so many accounts \ php scripts being executed that even with a ridiculous amount of memory it would not be able to cache it all.

Again, I'm not an expert on this and may be wrong. If I am I'd be happy to try it out. Does anyone have a better idea of how the software above works?

zen-r

Reaction score
It might be worth starting a new thread for that topic, so that it has more chance of attracting the attention of people with suitable knowledge in that area. (people rarely read all of these long threads! ;) )

Last edited:

gilyak

Reaction score
Hi, Corey
I do read the news, but I still cannot find an answer to the very simple question, "What's up with the e-mails?" I am not saying that you have to leave all of the other jobs and do my emails, but can you provide some information, please?
The single ticket with error on email delivery is closed, the emails still not working.
Do I asking for much?

zer0ne1337

Reaction score
I am not an expert on this but I remember looking into it 2 or so years ago... from what I understand it stores the executed PHP code in memory saving time next time it needs the same code. The problem we ran into is that we have so many accounts \ php scripts being executed that even with a ridiculous amount of memory it would not be able to cache it all.

Again, I'm not an expert on this and may be wrong. If I am I'd be happy to try it out. Does anyone have a better idea of how the software above works?

Thanks Corey for going through my suggestion... I will try to collect more information for you which will help you take the right decision. As zen-r suggested, if you open a new thread on this topic asking for experts to participate, it will be great :)

I just had a chat on the support irc of the APC tool. They suggested for a host, it is feasible to limit the memory that APC can use.

Though I am also not an expert and I will like opinion of others... Please respond...

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

I've actually used eAccelerator on my Linux router here at my home back when it used to be my web server for my website (2 years ago, way before I moved to x10Hosting). Now, because it was just my site, eAccelerator didn't really show much improvement in terms of speed, especially since it was running on a Pentium III box with 512MB of RAM which was acting as a router as well, but it did in fact cache every PHP script I ran on the server so that the hard drive was free to do other things. If you're going to try it, I'd say take a measure of the amount of accounts that run PHP scripts frequently and how much memory each user is using when their scripts are running, then add up the total amount of RAM that the scripts in a given time used, compare them with the free server memory and then decide on how much memory to allow eAccelerator to cache with. I'd say for a rough estimate, if your servers are running 8GB of RAM, Linux should at least be left with 700MB to run with, Apache, PHP, MySQL their own Gigabyte or so of RAM, whichever they will run the quickest with, and then for the caching, whatever is left of the RAM. Anything else would go to a separate swap drive or clear out the cache temporarily. I have no idea of how much RAM the servers are using for what so this is more or less an estimate.

But if I'm remembering correctly, when it comes down to memory usage, back then my site was probably caching no more than 20 megabytes or so of scripts (SMF forum, MediaWiki, another SMF forum which I hosted for someone temporarily). In total, the Linux box out of it's 512MB of RAM was using about half of that at any given time for the OS and web software. I pretty much had Linux using 192MB of RAM with about 40 or so megabytes of data of Linux in the swap, and then I had Apache, MySQL and PHP all running in a 64MB area (though they typically sat in a combined total of 18MB of RAM used). Anything else on the system such as my routing software and filtering software was using whatever RAM and swap they needed, based on network load. The machine and software could remain online for months and it'd be running smoothly. That machine is still in service to me today, acting as a network router, file server and web filter, it's just no longer serving any content to the outside world, so Apache, PHP and MySQL aren't installed onto it.

Just as an FYI though, eAccelerator back when I ran it didn't like certain scripts but I'm sure this is fixed, but I can add that it did in fact cache the entire PHP file to RAM. Whether or not it still does that to this day, I don't know.

But in general, I'd say go ahead and install it on a server, and see how it holds up and how the server resources look compared to one without caching.

EDIT: May I also note, that I believe you need to have a script that supports eAccelerator to really get the most out of it. I know that SMF does in the deep part of it's admin panel and can be turned on if PHP is set up with that accelerator. Below is a screenshot of the caching page of SMF 2.0 RC1-1, running from my website on Lotus.

Attachments

• accelerator.PNG
    accelerator.PNG
    107.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

gilyak

Reaction score
well, all right
today is 06.27.2009
i am on stoli
everything is working, including mails

kryptofire

Reaction score
Is the update from Starka to Stoli finished?

My site is still down for more than a week now, I can't login to cPanel and even on the account section (x10hosting.com/login.php)! Is it just me or there are other people who have the same experience?

:sad:

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
the move from starka to stoli is done, atm I don't see a hosting account linked with your forum account so you'd need to submit a ticket

Please include your cPanel name and that you were on starka

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score

-Corey

Yaha i feel special, hehe , noo must keep kool :cool:

Omg they actually used my suggestion, woooooo!!!!

Yeah it looks like servers are fine most of the time these days although im still getting more downtime then id like its way better then before. lost a awesome staff member who got fed up with the downtime though. Im sad... How much longer do you guys figure before everything is back to normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.