Mac or PC

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Well trust me once you use all aspects of a Mac you will really think it's worth the price.
I often use a Mac and I don't see any reason to consider it superior to Windows or Linux with a good UI, except for the unix shell which isn't present on Windows (but Linux is even better for that).

I found it's just an OS like any other, but have faced many quirks with it though:
-The whole Finder
-Different keyboard shortcuts (OK, there's some learning there)
-No Cancel button in the file properties window
-The menu bar(when you want to use it, it's displaying the wrong application because you focused on the desktop or another window)
-Can't maximize a window properly.
-The dock, mainly when many windows of an application are opened and you need to hold the left button for a while to reach it.
-Have to quit applications two times when you want to free some resources.
-The mouse acceleration curve sucks. That's the only OS that makes me swear because of that. And no, it's not just the mouse speed. (The Mighty Mouse is another problem)
-The OS becomes obsolete soon: After 2-3 years, new programs don't work with your OS X version anymore and you need to buy another license.
-No networked printing through another system unless the printer driver is designed to work with it.
-Not suited for a networked environment: The OS doesn't auto update, requires lots of fiddling to change UI parameters for all the(networked) users, etc.
-Bundled apps are too simple and lack functionality, I always end up installing alternative software.

and I could go on...

botbg

Reaction score
PC.

Mac is just to..simple...and they end up making those stupid commercials about PC.

PC has TONS and by TONS i mean TONS of applications and not to mention Games!

PC is just more of a "popular and useful" type of...computer....

Last edited:

xpbrian

Reaction score
I love them to Much Apps are ported to Mac and Mac's are not very expansive as PC's(Windows) are

davidjm

Reaction score
Hmmm.... do I like Mac, or do I like PC? Well, we all know that a Mac IS a PC, and since we all know that you can assemble a Mac for 1/2 or less of the cost of one, then that leaves it to the os...

So the real question is, which software company to I want to pay out of my nose for their flawed, buggy operating system? ... and yes they are both (Win32/OS X) horribly buggy and annoying in different ways...

So, this becomes a question of totally aesthetic preference.

But in my case, I'll take whatever I can aesthetically afford!!!! :-D

(No, I'm not really even that neutral... I'd prolly be considered a PC proselyte.)

My thesis:

Mac = Social Statement (Man Ain't Cool?)
PC = Personal Computer

;-)

kkenny

Reaction score
Macs interface looks cool, and I think it's simple if you just want a computer for every day use, nothing complex.
But PCs are more implemented worldwide.
I think it's because all programs are typed up for Windows, and none for Mac.

besides Macs technically are PCs, because they are Personal Computers -_-

ashhhevil

Reaction score
Quicktime
DivX Player
iTunes
Plex
XBMC
DoubleTwist
Movist
Chroma
Realplayer
Mplayer
and VLC. Hardly Limiting.

They might all be for mac but out of all of them, VLC is actually good. Which is why I said, On a mac, I'm limited to just VLC.
Edit:
When you go Mac, you never go back!

When you go Mac, you can always go back!

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Can and would are very different things :) Bootcamp or various other software packages offer the best of both worlds.
They might all be for mac but out of all of them, VLC is actually good. Which is why I said, On a mac, I'm limited to just VLC.
I agree with you there, VLC is very good. I just misinterpreted your use of 'limited'.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Oh, and foobar2k and IrfanView aren't on OS X (and on Linux, that's one of the many reasons why I dumped Linux + WINE just doesn't work well enough).

gwen203

Reaction score
I have a Vista Desktop (Gaming/itunes) and an Ubuntu Desktop

if it wasn't for the gaming and iTunes i would be all Ubuntu(Linux)

the_site

Reaction score
I choose PC bc I had one ever since I was young and I don't think I would switch anytime soon... So I choose PC

" What letter comes after C ? "
" Z, That's my final answer."

pbmuja

Reaction score
I'm a Graphic Designer but I prefer PC since almost all graphic softwares runs on Windows sample are adobe products but not all graphic softwares runs on MacOS such as Corel Draw and besides it eliminates troublesome of using 2 OS.

merrillmck

Reaction score
Windows most of my life (Apple's some in the 80's and dabbled a few times with Linux).

I really hate Apple's business philosophy - tying the hardware to the software and wanting control over everything. I own an iphone and as a software guy I've considered writing iphone apps. However, I was very annoyed to learn that I would need to both purchase a Mac and pay an annual "developer's" fee to release an iphone app. Sad thing is I'm still considering both.

Blitch all you want about Windows, but you can create programs for Windows from your Mac. The opposite is impossible.

----------

anthoshee

Reaction score
Why anyone would want to put up with the problems windows gives you is beyond me. *inx (including Mac OS X) is way more stable and runs faster. I personal like FreeBSD for web use and Mac for media.

Last edited:

merrillmck

Reaction score
Why anyone would want to put up with the problems windows gives you is beyond me. *inx (including Mac OS X) is way more stable and runs faster. I personal like FreeBSD for web use and Mac for media.

About 3-4 months ago I bought a new laptop (HP). The most similar Apple laptop:

Same
  • Same size screen
  • Equal RAM
  • Similar hard drives
Apple's definitely better
  • Thinner, lighter
HP's definitely better
  • $1,000 cash in my pocket
  • Rated at 6-7 hours of battery life so I'm assuming HP's better
And all those problems you were referring to? No blue screens of death; no virus; no spyware; runs fast. I don't mind the extra $1,000 problem though.

My laptop was $700 btw and the current MacBook is $1700. Had I chosen a more average battery life the HP would have been even less w/ all the same other specs.

Does this mean Windows is better than Leopard? No. However, it is like comparing an $18,000 Honda Civic to a $40,000 BMW. You really need to include the $22,000 cash in hand to get apples to apples.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You really need to include the ... cash in hand to ... [compare] apples to apples.
Good point. I'm gonna use that more often on people who try and tell me windows is for the "uninformed." :thefinger