Search Engine listing of threads

Should search engines index x10 users site name ?

• Total voters

Anirban1987

Reaction score
Whatever is discuss in this forum is indexed by Google. I don't have any objection to that. But it would be certainly better if the website addres that we mention in threads be masked to non-logged users and to Google Bot. It is very annoying to see threads related to my website in x10 being shown when I search my website (www.techdarpan.com ) in Google. For example type "TechDarpan" and search in Google. If the web address is masked then x10 will not loss because the problem for which the Google users are searching matches with any thread of x10 they will be able to see the thread and clear there doubt . So x10 will not lose web hits. But it will help x10 users to maintain their site technical details private.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Off-topic, it shouldn't be in free-hosting support section.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I don't see anything wrong with search engines and not registered users seeing your links, as after all, it kind of is free advertisement for your site.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
nooo. That would make it harder for googlebot to find your site if you mean remove all links from it. Then your site probably wouldn't be on google at all.

Because if you have as many posts as me, 2500+, you get 2500 links to your site if you put it in your sig. Every link does so your site has higher chanses on appearing on google

kkenny

Reaction score
nooo. That would make it harder for googlebot to find your site if you mean remove all links from it. Then your site probably wouldn't be on google at all.

Because if you have as many posts as me, 2500+, you get 2500 links to your site if you put it in your sig. Every link does so your site has higher chanses on appearing on google

That's why the people in Marketplace buying a spot for their link on your sig are making a big profit for little loss.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Well since Google indexing other sites is the only reason I can find that SysAlive 3 (an application I've been working on from scratch) is showing up on google at all (second spot down should be my first wordpress post about it), its fairly obvious that I quite like this.

I mean since I never submitted it to them in the first place, it had to get the link from somewhere, and this is the only place I know of that has links and such to the domain in question :)

sunils

Reaction score
I would suggest you to refrain from using your site name anywhere here. In that way, you can avoid google tagging your site name and x10 forum pages in the search result pages. If you specify any link over here, it will be indexed by google. But its a good marketting for you site only.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you embarrassed your site is hosted here?

Dan

Reaction score
I think it's great that google indexes the forum and finds links to my site.
More publicity for my site and higher Pagerank in google for my link appearing so much on here. Not that I any longer have any links in my sig, I will soon though!
Its annoying and embarrasing though that people can search for your site and then see any unsuspension threads etc. that you post...

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I think it's great that google indexes the forum and finds links to my site.
More publicity for my site and higher Pagerank in google for my link appearing so much on here. Not that I any longer have any links in my sig, I will soon though!
Its annoying and embarrasing though that people can search for your site and then see any unsuspension threads etc. that you post...

It's not all that embarassing unless you use a paid domain name on free hosting and your site members know about the free hosting :p

Anirban1987

Reaction score
Well since Google indexing other sites is the only reason I can find that SysAlive 3 (an application I've been working on from scratch) is showing up on google at all (second spot down should be my first wordpress post about it), its fairly obvious that I quite like this.

I mean since I never submitted it to them in the first place, it had to get the link from somewhere, and this is the only place I know of that has links and such to the domain in question :)

To get Google properly index your site all you need is to submit your site to Google Webmaster Central ( http://www.google.com/webmasters/ ) and its free.

Are you embarrassed your site is hosted here?

I am not at all embarrassed to host my domain at x10hosting. I am a student and running my site on a shoestring budget. I am rather thankful to x10 for giving me such a wonderful hosting platform.

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
To get Google properly index your site all you need is to submit your site to Google Webmaster Central ( http://www.google.com/webmasters/ ) and its free.

That is waaaay not enough. What google webmaster tools does, is just to show the statistic of your already indexed pages and manages your sitemap. You need links to your site too, about atleast 100 or so

Anirban1987

Reaction score
That is waaaay not enough. What google webmaster tools does, is just to show the statistic of your already indexed pages and manages your sitemap. You need links to your site too, about atleast 100 or so
Sorry I don't think so. I have submitted my website name (www.techdarpan.com ) to Google Webmasters. And I am preety sure that there are not 100 links to my website. But my site is already indexed in Google. Search with "TechDarpan" and see the results !!!

veightar

Reaction score
hey, what are many of us here for if this forum gives the nofollow attribute to our site. The important thing is not for the whole site like yoursite.com to appear in the listing, but how many times you have a back link. If your site gets a little popular in the search engines, you will not bother about whether it lists your forum post to your site or not because, your main site listing will be clouding that. Maybe, x10 will then move to about the 100th position.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
hey, what are many of us here for if this forum gives the nofollow attribute to our site. The important thing is not for the whole site like yoursite.com to appear in the listing, but how many times you have a back link. If your site gets a little popular in the search engines, you will not bother about whether it lists your forum post to your site or not because, your main site listing will be clouding that. Maybe, x10 will then move to about the 100th position.

Might I add something to your statement, Google's algorithum is more advanced than looking around for links. What Google comes across should be relavant to what people want to look for or search up. Certainly, if the site is seen around on the internet a lot, especially on popular sites it'll get more hits, but if it has a lot of content that people look for and it gets more clicks in searches and no returns after the click, your page rank is boosted. Not sure myself on this so you'll have to do some research.