Ubuntu or Windows 7

andrew35133

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a problem. I really like both Ubuntu and Windows 7 but I dont know which one to chose as my main OS. I really like that Windows has TONS of programs and is basically supported by everything. But I do like Ubuntu cause it opens up a entire new relem of stuff to find and figure out. Please post why I should go with Windows 7 or Ubuntu

Thanks,
Andrew Pearson

labrat1461

Reaction score
I personally like windows 7 at the moment more just because I'm into gaming right now and it has more programs that I need, BUT my secondary os is ubuntu, lightweight, all around good os. I use both frequently though.

henk506673

Reaction score
i love both and have 2 hard drives one for each but if anyone can tell me how to make it work with them please let me know. i install ubuntu then can not access windows 7 using grub. on the other side of things i do not see the problem here, just use partitioning.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ubuntu will also boot and run happily from a USB memory stick for those who do not wish to tamper with partitioning.

rolandr

Reaction score
Window 7 or Ubuntu [?] why not both? I think the majority of Ubuntu users has their computer dual boot in both OS.

Window 7 is pretty nifty ...

... but I would say 95% of the time I'm using Ubuntu because of open source free apps.

Only time I use Window is for Adobe Photoshop / ImageReady (fluent in both, yes, I know, Linux has GIMP but I have to familiarize myself with its menus and capabilities), and with my M-Audio Fast Track. I have yet to run the script that might be able to install drivers for this Fast Track.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Go for windows - the new unity interface looks like a half hearted attempt at trying to get mac users, and there's far fewer applications available, as you've said. Really you've answered your own question.

Who is Katherine Noyes and why should I care what she has written?

Plus, there are open source free apps on windows...

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Plus, there are open source free apps on windows...

Yet having a menu option whereby a user could quickly aquire software packages or apps (for free or paid ) from a trusted source is a trick that Micro$oft missed initially and yet is common to even the humblest of Linux distro's such as Puppy. Games are also a big stumbling block, getting something like COD to run on a linux desktop requires a fair bit of tweeking as to just opposed to load disc and play.

As the console makers pretty much have the games side covered and business is becoming more savvy about the benifits of linux, Micro$oft needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat big time with the next O/S version release.

kadai

Reaction score
I have been using Kubuntu almost only for more than 2 years by now.

I do not regret the move, because i have (almost) everything I need on that environment, and with the advantage to do not have viruses and other nasty microsoft-only things. And let's not talk the wonderful desktop that KDE provides.

The only thing I regret is that some solutions are not as "good" as its Windows counterparts. Specially GIMP, whose I have too much that it is a 3 window scheme that, if you are not carefull, the windows will screw and you'll need to minimize every other thing you had to see the windows of GIMP again (along with its usability) .. that is why I still use Photoshop, even in Linux.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Single trusted source.... only if kept with the default settings. Picture the scenarios:

1)
User can't find something that fills his needs in the default repos. Goes online, adds a repo, and suddenly that super awesome free email client in 3-d begins uploading all of his emails to Russia.

2)
User is 'reliably' informed he can get a Native Linux version of WL Messenger from the forums. User downloads .deb package, and suddenly all his documents are being sent to Cuba.

I may have exaggerated somewhat but there's no reason why those scenarios couldn't happen. No viruses on Linux ... It's just viral marketing.

Or scenario 3 - user switches to Linux and wants to install something he found online. Types in password in kdesudo or gksudo, as requested, and now, unless I'm mistaken, said 'installer' creates new account with administrative privileges and all sorts of wacky stuff happens.

A system is only as secure as the user using it.

andrew35133

Reaction score
Hmm all good replys but what would I do if I have a Zune Pass and want to play music on the Linux side of my computer? Also I love having a menu option whereby a user could quickly aquire software packages. Is there silverlight on Linux? How about so program to run windows software?

andrew35133

Reaction score
First off sorry this is a one liner. Thanks for your answer and links :D Someone should really give this person a big reward :D

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would have to say Windows 7, mainly because there is no Adobe CS5 for Linux. I am a web designer/developer and I cannot imagine my workday without at least Adobe Fireworks. Photoshop and Dreamweaver have some good Linux alternatives that I could live with but I like using Fireworks and there is no Fireworks for Linux (any distribution).

The point is, it depends on what you need. If Ubuntu has all the things you need then there is no reason to go with Windows 7.

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
I recomend ubuntu, it allows you to open that realm, allows you to boot from a memory stick easily, is basically windows' source (UNIX :D) and you can also run windows programs on ubuntu with either mono or wine

bltgamemasterx74

Reaction score
Windows 7 is very good, but it does have some issues. If you plan to use 64-bit, well wait a while till the whole world is using it! Some programs STILL aren't compatible with 64-bit. But using 64-bit opens a whole realm of new opportunities, over the dreaded 3.8GB RAM limit, higher core and CPU performance, Etc..

I used to use Ubuntu on a E-Machines laptop and it worked pretty good, but the E-Machines laptop was crap (Forgive the expression) but Ubuntu helped open and broaden the horizons for the laptop, which made it pretty nice! But again if your willing to spend the extra $ for 64-bit Windows 7, go for it. (Amd of course the money for a reliable high-performance PC to go along with it. But if not then go with Ubuntu.

Have fun! :tongue:
GameMaster

apisds

Reaction score
I use (and prefer) Ubuntu at work. For home use (gaming!) it's gotta be Windows. I don't do dual-boot (or multi-boot). I just have a separate computer for each task.

Interscopia

x10 Caffeine Addict
Prime Account
Reaction score
I've been stuck on this debate for quite some time. I dual-boot both OS's for that reason. As I have a decent CPU, I have no problems. If I want speed, I use Ubuntu, If I want Universal Compatibility, I use Windows. What I like about Ubuntu, is the ease at which it can be customized. The User-Friendly GUI that Windows provides grows tiresome on me sometimes. :tongue: