Updating a logo (1000+, paypal as well)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
moiety,

No offense, but you're really just spamming. (one logo ago), you posted a logo, and then the same logo with a line added, and then the same logo with two lines.

On three different posts. Put them all in one topic, don't just spam it all over the place...

Secondly, your designs aren't really designs. They're just taking the logo and re-applying the thing with different shapes/colors. Logo's should be appealing to the eyes. And, in my opinion (I'm not the company owner or Kayos) but you're designs don't look great. They seem to be bland. That's just a little constructive criticism, not trying to bash you or anything.

moiety

Reaction score
I'm just posting as they occur to me. Those 3 logos aren't in the same thread because they didn't exist before I posted them. Might look like spamming, but it's just stream-of-conciousness.

Secondly, your designs aren't really designs. They're just taking the logo and re-applying the thing with different shapes/colors. Logo's should be appealing to the eyes. And, in my opinion (I'm not the company owner or Kayos) but you're designs don't look great. They seem to be bland. That's just a little constructive criticism, not trying to bash you or anything.
Well the original design brief was this:
The logo needs to have a similar look. It needs to still have that F that goes across the top. What I want is a sleeker looking logo. Basically a facelift.
I read that as "same-ish but sleeker", dunno about you. In fact, I'm just playing with the shape...apart from one where I went silly on the plugins; the rest are all one-colour designs. What that colour is, is entirely immaterial. The OP said it was for a leaflet; that means that litho printing is a possibility; one colour means that only one plate has to be made up so it's cheaper.

I'll freely admit that I'm not a logo designer. It just so happens that I'm doing boring stuff that require me to have both coreldraw and photoshop fired up; so I'm slinging logos in as ideas occur in the 'breaks'. It's an intellectual exercise for me. The OP may present all or some or none to his client- couldn't give a monkeys. I was hoping to learn about logo design in this thread, and if somebody posts something spectacular, I might be able to raise my game a little. So far, it's mostly been promises though, and at least the OP has something to take back to his client.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I was really just giving you some help. :p it's all good.

I actually didn't read the litho printing one thing, so that helped me.

Sorry if I came off as bashing you, I didn't mean it at all.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's pretty much open game for any look now. I prefer a sleeker look to the older logo however I'm open to new ideas.

A little back ground information about the company:

It's a technology provider. They sell and install business phone systems, they do PC repair and other IT related services, digital dictation, time card systems, etc. They are a very technology driven local company.

I don't know how much that helps either. There website is www.favorite1.com as well.

Also, I really do like the stream of logos moiety is giving. I really can't comment on what direction to go into at the moment, however, on monday I'll set up an appointment with all the logos that get submitted up until that point and talk to the owner. I've only briefly talked to him about the logo last week. I hope to get some more input on what direction he wants to go.

moiety

Reaction score
No damage.

And litho printing wasn't mentioned:
I'm making a brochure and the logo the company has simply isn't good
Last time I checked (and that was a while ago), litho printing was the most cost-effective way of getting >1000 copies printed. The actual printing costs almost nothing...what costs is the design and having the (up to 4: CMYK) colour plates made up. So if you can restrict the colours to limit the number of plates, the printing job is that much cheaper for essentially the same result. Which is why big company logos are limited in colours.

Of course, the brochure may be <1000 copies; or a different print technology may be used. If the OP intends to bang out copies from his home inkjet then you can go one of 2 ways: one colour, so there's only one cartridge to be replaced; or full-colour, but try and keep the amounts of cyan, magenta and yellow approximately even, so the cartridges run out at the same time. The trick here is to desaturate; use dithering and other ways to reduce the amount of ink used so it's cheaper in the end.

Designing a company logo around one print job is a mistake though, so to play it safe, most logos are one or two colours. This is my understanding of the subject, anyway.

Which leaves me shape and fonts to play with. Plus bits that I add in, like symbols. It has to be interesting and yet not too intricate. I have so far failed to "capture the essence of the field in which dynamic visual branding must dominate"; but whether that's due to something I'm not grasping or whether people talk like that to talk their clients into shelling out vast sums for 10 minutes' photoshoppery, I'm not sure. I suspect the latter.

Of course, I could do what everyone else seems to and just plonk something from a logo pack in and spend the rest of the 10 minutes looking for an interesting font, but where would be the fun in that?

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No damage.

And litho printing wasn't mentioned:

Last time I checked (and that was a while ago), litho printing was the most cost-effective way of getting >1000 copies printed. The actual printing costs almost nothing...what costs is the design and having the (up to 4: CMYK) colour plates made up. So if you can restrict the colours to limit the number of plates, the printing job is that much cheaper for essentially the same result. Which is why big company logos are limited in colours.

That's actually good to know.
Designing a company logo around one print job is a mistake though, so to play it safe, most logos are one or two colours. This is my understanding of the subject, anyway.

This company is due for a logo redesign. They've had it since 1982. I'm redesigning all of there brochures as well so this new logo will be used in all of them. The current one when printed looks terrible.

moiety

Reaction score
Double-check the offset litho thing. I haven't priced up a print job for 4 years & something may have changed in the meantime. But that's why most (all?) big company logos are 1 or 2 colour. Unless it's a web-only company & they don't care how many of your pixels they use...but they'll still have a 1-colour simplified version for invoices etc.

The company is due for a website design too. A joomla base install still with the default template & the joomla favicon left there. They're just not trying.

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The company is due for a website design too. A joomla base install still with the default template & the joomla favicon left there. They're just not trying.

It is a small business (6-7 employees). No excuse really, however the website is more for the knowledge base and the LogMeIn link than anything else. It's basic for a reason.

moiety

Reaction score
This is probably in the "too intricate" class

EDIT: and I forgot to change the colour of the cogs. DOH!

EDIT AGAIN:
It is a small business (6-7 employees). No excuse really, however the website is more for the knowledge base and the LogMeIn link than anything else. It's basic for a reason.
Even so, they should get rid of the joomla favicon. First impressions and all that.

Attachments

• favoritevector8.png
    favoritevector8.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

passivegamer

Reaction score
How about this ? Pm Me if you like it
favp.png

moiety

Reaction score

Attachments

• favoritevector9.png
    favoritevector9.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 23
  • favoritevector10.png
    favoritevector10.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 20
  • favorite11.png
    favorite11.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The deadline for this logo will be Friday (September 25).

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Finally I got some free time here's how I spent it :)

Attachments

• FAVORITE_Logo_1.jpg
    FAVORITE_Logo_1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 29
  • FAVORITE_Logo_2.jpg
    FAVORITE_Logo_2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 29

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I also finally got some free time, no homework tonight. :)

I have the AI files. No PSDs. sorry. :(

Attachments

• Favorite Office Automation.png
    Favorite Office Automation.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 42

moiety

Reaction score

Attachments

• favoritevector12.png
    favoritevector12.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 21
  • favoritevector13.png
    favoritevector13.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Elesarr

Reaction score
slightly modified version of my previous design.

Attachments

• favlogo4a.png
    favlogo4a.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 17
  • favlogo4b.png
    favlogo4b.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 20
  • favlogo4c.png
    favlogo4c.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

moiety

Reaction score
And why not? Hang the expense...

Attachments

• favoritevector14.png
    favoritevector14.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 19
  • favoritevector15.png
    favoritevector15.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 18
  • favoritevector16.png
    favoritevector16.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 17
  • favoritevector17.png
    favoritevector17.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 20
  • favoritevector18.png
    favoritevector18.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 19

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thank you all for your logos. We'll be choosing within the week.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Alright, so they decided not to go with a new logo. However I'm going to compensate you guys for taking the time to work on this stuff.

Thanks.

Elesarr

Reaction score
Too bad no new logo, however thanks for the compensation, you didn't have to do that, and it's much appreciated!

Cheers!