Which IDE do you use?

Which IDE do you use most often for your web development?

• WYSIWYG (Dreamweaver, Frontpage, ...)

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Text Editor (Notepad, Emacs, Nedit, ...)

• General Programming IDE (Eclipse, MS Visual Studio, ...)

• Other (State it in the thread)

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

merrillmck

Reaction score
Which Integrated Development Environment do you use for your web programming? And the poll question is generalized as to whether your web programming (the majority of it) is done using a WYSIWYG tool, a text editor, or a general programming IDE.

WYSIWYG - Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or any product where you're not editing a markup or programming language (this would include MS Word saveas .html)

Any Text Editor - Notepad, emacs, nedit, ...

General programming IDE - Eclipse, MS Visual Studio, NetBeans, ...

------------

If you're using a text editor or programming IDE, what language do you spend the majority of your time editing when it comes to your webpage development? PHP, HTML, Java, Javascript, ASP.NET, ASP, C#, Visual Basic, ...

Last edited:

danprobo

Reaction score
I'm using MS Visual Studio Express Edition (freeware) and i already created some small tools with that, i still learning :)

C# is my favorites programming language.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I usually use Netbeans for Java, and dreamweaver for PHP, HTML and CSS (not the WYSIWYG part).

Some ppl (like the entire Java IRC channel) says that you never should use an IDE to program java, that you should use notepad or w/e, but I don't understand them really, an IDE is so much easier to work in, like that it has built-in debugger and tells you if you write anything wrong or do a spelling error etc

Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
I'm mostly into Java, I also do some HTML. NetBeans is pretty slick, but like most IDE's it is very resource hungry. On my older PIII-733 with 512MB of RAM, it is slow as molasses, so I refuse to use it. I like an openSource program colled Notepad++, which is basically a deluxe text editor. It does indenting and syntax hi-lighting, macros, and a few other good things. Maybe when my PIII finally dies I will get a more powerful machine that can handle a full-featured IDE.

merrillmck

Reaction score
I'm currently doing most of my work in C# with MS Visual Studio but that's mostly because I transitioned from doing a lot of non-web work using C++ and MS Visual Studio.

Going from MS Visual Studio C++ to PHP looks like a big scary leap.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver but I manual code everything. I don't use it as a WYSIWYG editor.

P.S. I think there's a similar thread somewhere around here.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I alternate between Notepad and Notepad++. I use Frontpage for complex stuff however.

Since I only know HTML and some Javascript, that's what I use it for. :D

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I need an option for "Mixture/Other"; I tend to use DreamWeaver/Photoshop to get the basic idea of how I want it to look down, then Notepad++ and XAMPP to build it myself so I know the code is as light as it can be while still being standards compliant :)

Kinda brutal to do though; almost seems backwards to use a WYSIWYG editor to get the page, then go back and recode it from the ground up on your own. Then again, when it seems half the time the hand-coded page is 1/5th the size and easier to edit/commented within an inch of its life, I can see why I do it that way :)

vekou

Reaction score
well, you specifically said WEB development. so i'm using WYSIWYG IDE, Dreamweaver to be exact. but i use eclipse sometimes when i write code for AJAX using Google Web Toolkit.

rstat1

Reaction score
Specifically for web dev..I use Expression Web, since I got free (legal) license for from MS. Used to use Dreamweaver, but found it to bulky and annoying for my use. Expression Web is lightweight and a speed demon.

Rarely if ever use the design part, because usually my pages are divided up into 3 parts, header, body and footer which basically makes the design view useless.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Text Editors. No better way to do it and nothing to go around messing up your code besides a fat finger. WYSIWYG editors are pretty convenient though.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm mostly into Java, I also do some HTML. NetBeans is pretty slick, but like most IDE's it is very resource hungry. On my older PIII-733 with 512MB of RAM, it is slow as molasses, so I refuse to use it. I like an openSource program colled Notepad++, which is basically a deluxe text editor. It does indenting and syntax hi-lighting, macros, and a few other good things. Maybe when my PIII finally dies I will get a more powerful machine that can handle a full-featured IDE.
P3, Wow. I have a core2 duo and I still use notepad++ for web development because IDEs take too much processor usage.

kieran5676

Reaction score
I use dreamweaver but only codeing, I almost never use the WYSIWYG apart from seeing how font styles look.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I need an option for "Mixture/Other"; I tend to use DreamWeaver/Photoshop to get the basic idea of how I want it to look down, then Notepad++ and XAMPP to build it myself so I know the code is as light as it can be while still being standards compliant :)

I added the option for you.

As for me I've been known to use Dreamweaver and Frontpage from time to time. I know Frontpage is probably not the greatest but I actually like it better than Dreamweaver. It's just easier to use.

merrillmck

Reaction score
These tools all overlap and most of us use multiple tools. But I think most of us have our comfort zone and preference. I've seen engineers who are skilled with emacs and they edit text files faster than I can even grasp what heck they're doing ... and given any type of work they'll always do it with emacs if feasibly possible.

MS Visual Studio actually has a great text editor built-in (my opinion of course) and a so-so WYSIWYG GUI/Webpage builder.

So all of these overlap. I was just asking where people spent most of their time and what their comfort zones were. And it's pretty interesting to hear of new software tools that might be worth trying in the future. I've programmed Java with Eclipse - pretty nice - but never tried NetBeans. If I need to do some Java programming in the future (required to write a Google Android phone app) then I might give NetBeans a testride.

Finally, I chose the three groups as I didn't think 10 choices would be enough to get the vast array of tools out there. And again, most of us use multiple tools ...

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I switch between Eclipse and SciTE. When I started PHP, I used to only use SciTE: I had to know the language, and it forced me to learn it, fast. However, when I wanted to learn java, I downloaded Eclipse (NetBeans was too slow). When I saw there were some plugins to develop php in Eclipse, I got myself addicted... Also, since there was SVN support, it was great for my SourceForge-hosted projects. I tried MS VS2008 express recently, but there isn't any php support, and mono is so-so in terms of asp.net 3.5 support.

For my layouts, I use my friend's skills! He's an hobbiyst graphical designer.

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use Eclipse for Java. I use Notepad++ for HTML, CSS, and PHP. I refuse to even think about Frontpage, for some reason I just hate it. Dreamweaver is okay, especially for design because you can preview without saving then opening your browser.

steronius

Reaction score
I used to use Dreamweaver, but no longer; I'm trying to stay FREEWARE.

I've tried to stick to Kompozer due to WYSIWYG; however; i find the source editing portion (text area) just not right. -- it shifts from basic text to formatted text and leaves out surrounding text... i just can't work like that.

I've also tried CoffeeCup and AlleyCode, they are pretty good HTML editors. You can go CoffeeCup Pro and get the WYSIWYG. AlleyCode will provide a "Syncro" view that previews your page as you edit the source.

I've tried FirstPge 2006 also, it seems to have all the potential, but it's so damned slow and i've even had it crash a few.

But alas, in the end what i have been using is NotePadd++, it's got it all, minus the WYSIWYG. But what i like most is that you can save, then launch your file to display in your browser(s).

if anyone finds a "GREAT" freeware WYSIWYG, let me know.

So finally, to answer your question, TRY KOMPOZER, then TRY NOTEPAD++
Edit:
http://www.godandscience.org/general/free_wsyiwyg_html_editors.html

Last edited:

henk506673

Reaction score
I use Netbeans because it is nearly compatable with everything, java, c/c++, python, pearl, all sorts of other languages too.