• Windows 7

Votes: 137 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hcse26

Reaction score
Re: Which Os do u prefer

I'm all for XP, it's got a nice interface, all my games run fine, and with the proper firewalls, it's secure. Vista is a complete Memory and Processor hog, although secure, it has to ask for permission for everything which is annoying. Linux is beast, but there aren't that many programs for it. Mac I find to be quite crappy, just looking at some youtube videos, also how stereotypic they are in their commercials.

Actually a case-2-case basis. If Vista hogs RAM, then it's actually using it for something needed or useful. Many people don't realize that.. It eats half my RAM, so what? as long as it runs memory demanding programs like a Real-Time Simulation game, it's fine.

Vista is fine enough if you're running it on a dual core machine with 4 GB of ram and one of nVidia's really fast but $200 graphics cards. But not everyone has or wants to spend money on those things...

I got my machine with XP installed on it, I just upgraded my RAM to 1.5GB and got a discrete nVidia card all for <$100 and I'm on a Pentium 4. You don't have to spend much money because some XP machines need a little upgrade to run Vista perfectly. See my l33tsig if you don't belive me:biggrin:

BentFX

Reaction score
Earlier I stated I was happy riding a dinosaur (Win2k), well things have changed...

My laptop took a leap from the table and has been declared dead. It had WinXP home but no OS media, just recovery cd's.

So I got onto bittorrent and downloaded a bootleg copy of XP home. It had cracks and instructions for installing a pirate copy, but I used my existing XP cd-key and got it authorized by promising the laptop is dead.

I'm no fan of bootleg software, but it is nice when you can download from pirates to install a legal copy.

XP Home version... It works for me!

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I wouldn't even attempt a bootleg copy. At least with Vista, you can use any install media (except OEM) for any version. For example, I have installed Vista Business in a virtual PC from my Home Premium disc. :D

Coldfirezz

Reaction score
For just everyday stuff( Browsing,IMing, Listening to Music...) I preffer Linux but for Coding (PHP,VB,C++,HTML,Javascript..) I go with windows.

pvroom

Reaction score
Windows XP

Windows XP, the only thing that realy bugs me is the slowing doen of older systems (probably because of stuud installed and removed again).
Cleaning up helps, but not to get it back to an as new state.

brilliantbro2000

Reaction score
Mac OS X Leopard is by far the beset OS i've ever used. I've used every windows version since 95 [including the horror that was ME, and the horror that is vista], ubuntu, fedora, and SUSE linux. Mac OS X Leopard hasnt failed me yet since I got my Mac almost a year ago, wheras my windows PC's have done so, all too oftenly.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I tried every Windows and almost every Linux distribution and I have to say as a programmer and a web designer that XP is currently my choice. I mean there is nothing that can replace Delphi and Adobe CS in Linux. Of course there are Lazarus and KompoZer but Delphi and the almighty Dreamviewer are far the best choice.

For those who use their computers mostly for work (office suits) and internet access Ubuntu is far the best choice.

Vista is technically like Millennium that’s why MS wants to launch Windows 7 ASAP. I will rather wait for that instead of switching to Vista now.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
IMO people are underestimating Vista. It's fast (on "just" 2GB of RAM) and I've never had an un-workaround-able problem.

Vista is not ME 2.

shadowdragon

Reaction score
I like Ubuntu best but I haven't tried Vista. I have used ubuntu for awhile and I definitely like it better than Windows XP.

---Shadow Dragon

Max1337

Reaction score
Ubuntu is good, but not for gaming lol.. I like to game sometimes, and Linux is very limited to what you can play, even with Wine (Windows emulator for Linux)

crabbypup

Reaction score
vista is just slow. very slow.
xp keeps crashing on me.
linux is fully customizable, uses no resources, and doesn't crash unless you do something stupid like screw up the drivers or the ui settings. but linux doesn't get viruses.

i love linux :)

i do, however find that ubuntu is a bit too slow for my taste. I prefer puppylinux.

Last edited:

idiil

Reaction score
vista is just slow. very slow.
xp keeps crashing on me.
linux is fully customizable, uses no resources, and doesn't crash unless you do something stupid like screw up the drivers or the ui settings. but linux doesn't get viruses.

i love linux :)

i do, however find that ubuntu is a bit too slow for my taste. I prefer puppylinux.
What are you running this on a P200?
It only costs $200 for a new computer, and about $20 for some memory to make it more bearable.

blondielocks

Reaction score
Vista ftw. Many people say its slow but if you have a good enough machine, there should be no problem :D

rj2728

Reaction score
I prefer Ubuntu cuz of the graphics and for games its Windows XP

Why do I like the grapics of Ubuntu?
I like the graphics of Ubuntu cuz of its special effects like drawing fire on your desktop and the Cube Desktop.

Why do I use XP for games?
I use XP for games because it can run many kinds of games not like ubuntu and Vista it can't many games, in Linux you still need to use WINE.

Sorry for my bad english

nopq954

Banned
Reaction score
Britain’s Daily Mirror

Nicole simply cannot wait to pack her bags and move in. She’s so excited abut the prospect of spending New Year with the rest of the girls. warcraft gold

apoorav

Reaction score
I prefer Linux. Linux is very Good; Good Speed , No viruses. Dont crash oftenly. Windows XP is not very good, it is very slow as compared to LINUX.

abcisaac

Reaction score
I'm sure they are all fine. I prefer XP because it's already on my system and software is widely available for it. I already know how to use it, too. I've seen Vista, and it is lovely and probably works well for most people. Thankfully, I haven't used a Mac since high school. Linux is probably fine but did not come on my pc, so I do not use it. Probably never will, and I'm fine with that.

vekou

Reaction score
too bad microsoft will stop support for windows xp soon, so windows users will have no choice but to migrate to vista. i think it's still 5 years from now, so not that bad. but by that time windows 8 might be already released.

linux and the like are still the best, but windows users still are the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.