Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 137 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lala123

Reaction score
I used Windows XP for 7 years until now. Still love it and I didn't even think about upgrading to higher OS.

helpac

Reaction score
Windows xp is still the best for me so far. i have vista on one computer but it is just not as reliable and straight forward as xp which i run on three different office computers.

mac173

Reaction score
I have 3 machines at home running XP home, and a laptop with Vista. XP works great, Vista has been a constant problem. BSOD's every week, at least.

I tried Ubuntu on the laptop, but the sound system never worked well. I just could not get my iTunes CD's to ID in Musicbox. I refuse to manually listen to and ID thousands of songs, so goodby Ubuntu.

I am now testing Windows 7, and it is running very well, with no problems so far. Running multiple apps, music, internet and more and no problems. When that goes live I will upgrade my laptop at least, and am going to test it on my home machines next.

iglitter

Reaction score
windows media center 2005 is what i like and am currently using. but i prefer any o/s for mac

kaiweilim

Reaction score
I prefer windows vista 64 bits although i still think Windows XP load better as it use lesser ram.
Yea... Too Bad Windows 7 isn't in this poll. If not i would want to vote for it. :)

Regards.

merrillmck

Reaction score
I just bought a Vista laptop after using several XP computers in a row. I was wary but I didn't have a choice with the computer I'd selected.

Vista is definitely better although it would be awful on an older computer. If you're running a computer several years old don't even consider changing from XP to Vista. Your computer will come to a halt as if you opened 50 browser windows simultaneously.

Specifically, ensure your computer has 4 gigabytes of RAM if you're planning to run Vista on it (or considering purchasing it new). Vista will typically take 2 gigabytes and can go up to 2.5 or even 3 gigabytes of usage. Obviously, if you only have 2 gigabytes of RAM then your programs will start paging to disk (thrashing) and it will appear as if your computer has slowed by a factor of 10 or 20. The solution is as simple as purchasing more RAM for your computer if your computer can support more memory.

Why is Vista better? Almost all the included features have been improved. Windows Calendar, Parental Controls, Networking, etc. And it's easier on the eyes for whatever that's worth.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I just bought a Vista laptop after using several XP computers in a row. I was wary but I didn't have a choice with the computer I'd selected.

Vista is definitely better although it would be awful on an older computer. If you're running a computer several years old don't even consider changing from XP to Vista. Your computer will come to a halt as if you opened 50 browser windows simultaneously.

Specifically, ensure your computer has 4 gigabytes of RAM if you're planning to run Vista on it (or considering purchasing it new). Vista will typically take 2 gigabytes and can go up to 2.5 or even 3 gigabytes of usage. Obviously, if you only have 2 gigabytes of RAM then your programs will start paging to disk (thrashing) and it will appear as if your computer has slowed by a factor of 10 or 20. The solution is as simple as purchasing more RAM for your computer if your computer can support more memory.

Why is Vista better? Almost all the included features have been improved. Windows Calendar, Parental Controls, Networking, etc. And it's easier on the eyes for whatever that's worth.

Also take note that Vista also does cope better with Parallel computing and multi-core/hyperthreaded apps as well.

vekou

Reaction score
windows 7 is not included in the list since this was created before windows7 beta has begun. can someone update the poll?

canalavelibrary

Reaction score
My choice is Windows 7, it's sleek, up to par with XP (I don't notice a difference at all in speed), and just awesome. I can't wait for WindowsBlinds 7 and all the other customization programs to catch up though, because the default Aero interface does get a little boring after a while (but what doesn't).

jmcgowan

Reaction score

I agree that Vista is better, but I've had a much better experience with memory usage. My laptop has 3GB of RAM, and Vista seems to take up about 1GB of memory. To be honest, Firefox has a bad tendency to use up the remainder, but that's only if I leave it running for two to three days at a time :biggrin:

jonmoseley8

Reaction score
I am mainly a Linux user as I have used Fedora, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu in the past but at the moment I am using Windows 7 mainly for program compatibility. But out of those I would say that my favourite was Fedora.

I do want to use Mac OSX in some point and I have been looking at the 2.8GHz MacBook Pros, but they are so expensive.

chisao10

Reaction score
I prefer Windows 7, but it wasn't listed on the poll. XP is the only other valid choice there. I am probably biased because I know Windows XP better than I know any other OS. I have been playing with Windows7 though, and I am really going to love the final release.

bharathbala2003

Reaction score
i prefer XP but then these days i am better off with vista.. but xp would remain my all time favorite.. :) the stability has been good for me atleast!!

stitchrokcs

Reaction score
I prefer vista (for me at least) I find it runs alot faster than XP and I like alot of the new features it has such as the widgets. However one thing I hate is the shadow copies as they are no use to me however if not cleaned out every week or so can build up to lots anf LOTS of gb of information you didnt even know you had.

If Office 2007 is included with vista then thats another huge plus because I find the new Office to be alot better especially PowerPoint, Word and Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.