• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: Which window you like most?

XP is an "add-on" to the basic Windows 98. Now Windows started out as .2 or something like that and its always been added on since then (of no mouse nor graphical interface) in order to be what we know now as Windows XP. Now Windows Vista was created from the ground up so it has less DOS coding then the actual XP has. But also with Vista theres alot of bugs of which comes from less usage...

XP was created from NT if I am not mistaked. Win98/SE uses the DOS kernel & XP uses the NT kernel. XP emulates DOS, whereas 98 was built on it.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score

If you had asked me this when XP was just released I would have said Win98. It sure was a great operating system, though lacking in resources. But now that XP has everything to offer I'll go for XP since Microsoft no longer supports Win98

I dunno if someone else has said this, but: the same is being said about Vista now...

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

If you are a DOS gammer and only have a NT bassed system installed. There are addons for NT DOS emulator such as "DOS box". This is a bit tricky to get working right but most DOS games run on it.

intheclutch

Reaction score

The computer at my house still has 98, and I get frustrated whenever I use it, though that wasn't the case when we first had it, so age is definitely a factor.

The computer I'm currently using has XP, and I've had it for about 4 years now and it's still doing well...a lot better than the other computer did after 4 years.

So, I'm going with XP.

eminemix

Reaction score

Are there people still using windows 98 ?:lol::lol:

twdk01

Reaction score

XP is an "add-on" to the basic Windows 98. Now Windows started out as .2
It couldn't be any wronger... Windows XP is in escence a different architecture, much closer to the NT series. Windows 98 is just a shell for DOS, that is, when starting up Windows 98 you're actually running DOS, and then starting a program - the shell -. Windows 98. In the case XP, you're running the OS. The DOS like console, is just that, a console.
Another strong point for XP is that it runs on NTFS (let's face it, running XP on a FAT32 filesystem is like a horse-drawn ferrari), which is a much more modern filesystem that FAT32. FAT32 is not only an ancient filesystem that has been patched over and over, but it also is limited regarding file size (you can't have files bigger than 4gb). Apart from all this, ask yourself this; how often do you see a blue screen of death on Win98 and on WinXP?
So because of all the previously mentioned items my choice is XP.

Unless you're a DOS gamer of course.
You can always use DOSBox, VDMSound or ScummVM that will assure you the best compatibility with the new hardware (through emulation of course).

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score

[...]You can always use DOSBox, VDMSound or ScummVM that will assure you the best compatibility with the new hardware (through emulation of course).

Or VMware Server (free) if you want total compatibility!

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Eish, people like saying things over and over that others have said.
This thread should be closed, the question was a stupid one to start with !
A better one would have been XP or Vista, again 2 totaly different builds but more relevant to the times.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score

Me too, my laptop runs it. :biggrin: :lol:

Last edited:

nonsensep

Reaction score

Windows 98. Brings back better memories than Windows XP does for me. Anyway, I hate Windows XP's style, even though Windows 98 performance isn't as good.

Besides, I had to pick the minority lol.

nol888

Reaction score

XP has all those little nooks and crannies that people like me like to explore.

LiOn AnAs

Reaction score

I love windows XP only because it is fast
anad now
I love windows vista only because it is nice

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score

Well, i like windows XP because his Plug and Play recognizes most of stuff.
While in 98, you gotta Plug and PRAY to recognize rofl.

98 is faster and lighter but if you got a better pc, xp is the choice.
my dad always told me "win 98 run games better" but i dont think so. i think xp got his power and even if dont run, just use that "run program xx with compatibility of: win 95, 98, 2k, etc"

Adn the best thing: XP mostly dont require to restart when you change something. 98 has that thing... you change your IP at lan and restart, you do anything restart, thats boring. XP dont need that.

and about vista:
NEVER. I'm a gamer, all games have problems in vista and more than that, its a bad copy of Mac.

gateway

Reaction score

I think I llike unlimited and crystall xp cos their interface i nice and wow nice programs and games with it but my only problem is are they really hacks. Offlate I stopped using them and switched to windows xp pack 2. But to be frank i have to format my pc the fourth time today due to functionality. ?But I THINK windows unlimited and crystal are still cool whilst vista keeps on hunging others and pack one, home edition and pack two, too flexible and vulnerable

alexandgruntz

Reaction score

I have a game which requires a restart, in XP I just selected Restart later and it worked perfectly - without a restart.

VictorySkateShop

Reaction score

The only thing I like more about XP is that newer programs won't all run for 98. I actually found 98 to be more stable, and have near the same speed, so honestly, 98 would be my pick of the two.

Blazer9131

Reaction score

I like Win Xp better, It has many more programs that are compatible with it. Also, WIN XP Service pack 2. the Core Win XP Vs Win 98, I would choose Win 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.