Why do people hate microsoft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slothie

Reaction score
Meh, IMO people hate Microsoft cause its a fun thing to do and 'everyone' does it so why not?

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
And MS-DOS is different than DOS. (DOS was around way back in the day, way before Apple in the 1970's) DOS was created by IBM in 1966.

Sorry I could be very wrong on this. Ever watched the movie Pirates of Silcone Valley? Its the life story of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. If the movie is true then the following would be correct.

The first program Bill ever wrote was something for his school (this was the time of punch cards and stuff). Him and steve (freinds at this point) then went on this quest to bring the first OS to the computer and started a company. They went thier own ways due to some dispute. Bill then found a guy who had written a Disk Operating System. On a whime and without seeing the software he just went to IBM with the idea. IBM bought it (for a small fortune) and Bill then went a bought DOS from the dude who wrote it (for next to nothing), modified it and tweaked it (not alot though) and gave it to IBM.

The movie also documents the theft, sorry creation of the mouse.
Again Bill heard of it, sold to IBM before getting it himself.

Anyways, a really good movie that I am sure holds some truth. It tells you alot about how Apple Machingtosh came about and Microsoft stole and conned its way in to the world.

KowKing

Reaction score
Sorry I could be very wrong on this. Ever watched the movie Pirates of Silcone Valley? Its the life story of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. If the movie is true then the following would be correct.

The first program Bill ever wrote was something for his school (this was the time of punch cards and stuff). Him and steve (freinds at this point) then went on this quest to bring the first OS to the computer and started a company. They went thier own ways due to some dispute. Bill then found a guy who had written a Disk Operating System. On a whime and without seeing the software he just went to IBM with the idea. IBM bought it (for a small fortune) and Bill then went a bought DOS from the dude who wrote it (for next to nothing), modified it and tweaked it (not alot though) and gave it to IBM.

The movie also documents the theft, sorry creation of the mouse.
Again Bill heard of it, sold to IBM before getting it himself.

Anyways, a really good movie that I am sure holds some truth. It tells you alot about how Apple Machingtosh came about and Microsoft stole and conned its way in to the world.

I've seen Pirates of Silicon Valley. The original program that Paul Allen wrote at Harvard was a loader, not a disk operating system. The disk operating system they bought was changed to the name of, "MS-DOS". It was not 360/DOS by IBM, which was the original disk operating system used as an operating system.

generic

Reaction score
I dunno, Microsoft works fine for me. Sure its got problems but its easy to run games on XD

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I don't say that I hate Microsoft, it is just that I don't like the way they run, they monopolize the whole market.....It is typical of Microsoft to crush a rival company, Though I like its products but still I am slowly moving away from it, using Linux. It is a step-by-step process, It'll take a long time getting over Microsoft but I hope Microsoft changes for the better, in fact encouraging rivals rather than crushing them......;)

nakg0d

Reaction score
Well, the only support I've given Microsoft is via use of their operating system, Windows XP. Other than that, I don't particularly own a X-BOX, Zune, or anything else that they've created. :X

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
I don't like them because I spent about 2-3 hours today fixing a Vista computer. BSODs are back!
If I had to buy Vista, there is no way I get it. A friend gave me a extra copy that he got from some company when they messed up his order.
The only thing I like that Microsoft made would be the new office.

Explaining why you hate Microsoft must be a popular subject. 3 pages in one day!

Last edited:

Swiblet

Reaction score
I really don't care about Microsoft. I am slightly annoyed that Microsoft is monopolizing everyone, but it doesn't matter. In computer, they are the number one. That is great. They make webcams now, though...the webcams are thought of as a joke. They have internet...that is thought of as crap. Everything they make that isn't computers and the XBox is thought of as crap. While their good things are loved, everything else is snubbed. This somewhat evens out the monopolization. If everyone loved them and Microsoft was leeching off people by having them buy EVERYTHING they make, I would be annoyed, but people are smarter than that. So I don't care.

However, Windows Vista Ultimate is great and I would never go back to XP of use Linux (now that I've researched Linux, I think it's poo compared to Vista).

~~Ben

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just removed over 6000 copies of i-Worm/Brontok.c from a server and 3 stations.
Took over 24hours to scan, constantly stopping the proxy and removing files.
Not that this is a microsoft problem, but it was machines using microsoft XP. Virus took away a few things that could of made life a little easier. Such as folder and file settings tab gone. Got it back via safe mode boot.
Edit:
@KowKing : Scrapped from Wiki.

DOS (Disk Operating System) was the operating system that brought the company its real success. On August 12, 1981, after negotiations with Digital Research failed, IBM awarded a contract to Microsoft to provide a version of the CP/M operating system, which was set to be used in the upcoming IBM Personal Computer (PC). For this deal, Microsoft purchased a CP/M clone called 86-DOS from Seattle Computer Products, which IBM renamed to PC-DOS. Later, the market saw a flood of IBM PC clones after Columbia Data Products successfully cloned the IBM BIOS, and by aggressively marketing MS-DOS to manufacturers of IBM-PC clones, Microsoft rose from a small player to one of the major software vendors in the home computer industry.[20][21]>[22][23][24][25][26] The company expanded into new markets with the release of the Microsoft Mouse in 1983, as well as a publishing division named Microsoft Press.[19]

I think this confirms all I said ?

Last edited:

KowKing

Reaction score
DOS (from Disk Operating System) commonly refers to the family of closely related operating systems which dominated the IBM PC compatible market between 1981 and 1995 (or until about 2000, if Windows 9x systems are included): DR-DOS, FreeDOS, MS-DOS, Novell-DOS, OpenDOS, PC-DOS, PTS-DOS, ROM-DOS and several others. They are single user, single task systems. MS-DOS from Microsoft was the most widely used. These operating systems ran on IBM PC type hardware using the Intel x86 CPUs or their compatible cousins from other makers. MS-DOS, inspired by CP/M, is still common today and was the foundation for many of Microsoft's operating systems (from Windows 1.0 through Windows Me). MS-DOS was later used as the foundation for their operating systems.

MS-DOS (short for Microsoft Disk Operating System) is an operating system commercialized by Microsoft. It was the most commonly used member of the DOS family of operating systems and was the dominant operating system for the PC compatible platform during the 1980s. It has gradually been replaced on consumer desktop computers by various generations of the Windows operating system.

MS-DOS was originally released in 1981 and had eight major versions released before Microsoft stopped development in 2000. It was the key product in Microsoft's growth from a programming languages company to a diverse software development firm, providing the company with essential revenue and marketing resources. It also provided the platform on which early versions of Windows ran.

Hm.

Chris Z

Reaction score
This is really just becoming a debate, I'm moving this to the Crossfire forum.

arsal375

Reaction score
Microsoft have monopolized the software industry and now its meeting competitors like Google. I dont really know why everyone hates microsoft. I like Microsoft. Some of their product is below rate but still, it has good products.. hehe

warlordste

Reaction score
microsofts a good company but they rush there products with all the bugs and hard ware faults in them that ow come they dislike them

Aquilus

Reaction score
Well, I'd say that people hate them because they're successfull...

BlackIrish

Reaction score
Probably because of bad past experiences with it.

The company has had some bad products/decisions in some periods, and I guess some people just don't forgot those things...

Anyone remember Windows ME? It sucked hard!!!

DeadNalo

Reaction score
People keep saying that Vista is the worst OS in the world because it's full of glitch and so much incompatability software even if they never try it. Why? because other people said it.

I'm still running on Vista and I never, nerver see one software incompatible. For the glitch, Microsoft already correct thoses.

alfred

Reaction score
Because MS support nearly all drivers, even unknown devices. That's why they crash so often.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
People keep saying that Vista is the worst OS in the world because it's full of glitch and so much incompatability software even if they never try it. Why? because other people said it.

I'm still running on Vista and I never, nerver see one software incompatible. For the glitch, Microsoft already correct thoses.

Firstly if I am not mistaken Vista is the newest well known OS. This will then tend towards incomputability with previous versions software. Newer software will run, older might straight up or in a compatability mode. Some modes work for different things. Most my programs run well under XP mode. Yet some of my games run better under 98se mode.

So you are telling me Vista hasnt spat out some error or wouldn't run not even one program or game? If so I think you are one of the luckiest out of all the Vista users.

To get a good idea to the problems Vista has or any Microsoft product, join Microsoft Communities and have a look through some of the posts. Every day there are hundreds of people there asking for help with problematic Microsoft products. I wouldn't have got past the first month with Vista without the help of these people.

I dont as much hate Microsoft, more dislike the fact that its the only option I am always given when purchasing a retail computer. If I had Linux shunted on me my whole life, I would probably see Microsoft as a better option for its ease of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.