Why do people hate microsoft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I don't like Microsoft because most of their software is really expensive, also they like seem to force you to buy the newest software by changing file formats (.doc -> .docx).

On the other hand if you want to play games Microsoft is great, because many games don't support any other OS.

Kieran G

Reaction score
Micro$oft is mainly hated for not releasing ANY source code into the open source community and don't get me started with Vista... Though I don't mind XP.

wolf693

Reaction score
Micro$oft is mainly hated for not releasing ANY source code into the open source community and don't get me started with Vista... Though I don't mind XP.

Well, you can change the registry to do almost whatever you want... Except for when you make one bad mistake and you're left with a virtually useless copy of Windows.

I personally don't hate it, I actually like it. But because the title is "Why do PEOPLE hate microsoft" not, "Why do YOU hate microsoft" I'm not going to say why.

Anybody who loves to multitask on their computer seems to hate it. Even though you may have 1 GB of RAM, Windows still seems to take over the machine, almost forcing you to restart (Unless you have the patience to sit and wait for Windows Task Manager to open up three minutes after you've hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then go about clicking "End Task" 500 times)

If you have recently bought a new computer with Vista on it, but you want XP, you know what I mean. You had no option because Microsoft refuses to allow companies install XP on it's machines (except for MCE)

There are a lot of reasons people hate Microsoft, a lot of it is because of their lack of computer knowledge, or that they push their systems to the breaking point. But like I said, personally, I have no problem with Microsoft!

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I don't like Microsoft because most of their software is really expensive, also they like seem to force you to buy the newest software by changing file formats (.doc -> .docx).

On the other hand if you want to play games Microsoft is great, because many games don't support any other OS.

I agree with TechAsh, but I don't hate Microsoft. I am actually using Windows Vista right now. I have plenty of complaints about Microsoft''s operation and ethics, but I like Windows Vista. It is true Microsoft has many bugs in their software. They make too many new, flashy programs instead of quality, bug free ones and offer little support for their older products. Security holes don't bother me much since I have a great internet security suite and those holes can't be exploited without a virus.

I believe that why people hate Microsoft and Vista is because of rumors, and blaming Vista for problems or deficiencies of their own computer. People who have enough RAM (which is stated in requirements) have no problems multitasking. In short, you can expect problems if you don't fill the system requirements and most problems can be solved with a little thinking.

I hate it when people say they hate Microsoft. If people dislike the services that they offer, there are plenty of options elsewhere. It doesn't make sense to hate something that is your choice to use. :nuts: I am not going to lie and say the Microsoft is better than everyone else, because I have not used any other operating system (except old Macs and XP). Still, my favorite operating system is Vista because I managed to install Vista on an old Emachine that was bought in a clearance 5 years ago, and have had no problems.

Last edited:

Xemnas

Reaction score
Yes, people do hate Microsoft because of their own incompetence (on both sides). But, there are quite a few others in there too - sheer marketing dominance (giving Microsoft the power to drive their prices sky-high), corporate greed, forcing institutions to use whatever it (Microsoft) comes up with and so on. So it's no wonder that people complain when Vista acts up for them again.

Blockis2

Banned
Reaction score
Basically a pure monopoly. They basically control almost all OS. They can increase the price if they want to.

dwd2000

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is anti-Microsoft or just anti-monopoly. Let's face it, if the product(s) were that bad, MS wouldn't be in business too long to begin with. Personally, I like to have choices, but since there are some things that only run on Windows, I/we are basically stuck with it. If other OSs can run Windows programs and games, I'm sure there would be less MS OSs out there.
Another point is that when the general public buys a computer, they are choosing between Macs and MS PCs. They don't know anything else and they don't really care. Macs are more expensive than MS PCs, so they buy the MS PC. The uneducated buyer is MS's best friend.
Do I hate MS? No. I just like choices, and MS doesn't offer me the luxury of too many choices.

Stormscape

Reaction score
I think the reason most people hate Microsoft is the same reason the majority of people hate America/hated the USSR/hated the Romans/etc etc.
It's a combination of envy and greed. Everybody wants to be better than everybody else but they normally can't be so they get mad at the people who ARE better than them to make themselves feel better.
Of course, there ARE valid gripes to Microsoft's virtual (not just a metaphor in this case either) stranglehold on the compputing industry with its Windows product line, which is on somewhere in the nieghbourhood of 90% of home PCs. The biggest area in which Microsoft still struggles is the server market, where POSIX based Operating Systems still dominate.

paul.sijpkes

Reaction score
I agree with Brandon, and I run Ubuntu Gutsy!

I don't hate Microsoft but I do much prefer to work in a Linux environment, although this only happened recently, up to that point I always used Microsoft products.

Most of the guys who "hate" Microsoft don't really understand what businesses can do for the community. To get to their current position Microsoft had to be pretty ruthless and so there were many developers who got burnt, but that is mainly to do with the fact that they did not have the business sense to see the true value of their product (if anyone knows the story of MS-DOS, you might understand). I would not be surprised if some of those same developers now work for Microsoft and earn good money.

So, why do I use Linux? Well, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for something I can get for FREE and that, frankly, runs more efficiently, is less bulky in its memory use and is less buggy than its commercial counterpart and there is nothing I find more annoying than paying good money and ending up with a product that is still, basically, in testing phase (ie. Vista and XP when it first came out).

The open source community is often more innovative, because they do not always need to reverse engineer (although some still do) other people's products or try to reinvent someone else's, they can re-use each other's code and constantly improve on it. You also don't feel as jibbed when on the rare occassion you do have a problem because you haven't paid for it therefore you don't feel "ripped off".

I think once Microsoft realises this they will start creating products that are less buggy and more reliable and won't need to charge people money for inferior quality. I'm looking forward to this day, when Microsoft will continue to grow and evolve as a great company and continue to give to the community. Otherwise it will get swamped by open source!

Last edited:

rlodge

Reaction score
Because they're so easy to hate. They make pretty good targets of themselves. I use XP, Ubuntu, Red Hat (at work) and Mac OSX 10.3 (too cheap to buy the newest for my Powerbook G4) but I won't touch Vista! After having to "upgrade" 7 people's computers to XP, I know what I dislike about Vista.

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
Ah yes.. time to step in, infraction time. Thanks for playing. *CLOSED*

LarryColorado

Reaction score
I originally hated Microsoft because, and forgive my age, they represented THE MAN.

Back in the day when BASIC language was new, people still knew assembler, if not machine language, the PDP1170 computer was state of the art and RadioShacks TRS-80 with 4k of RAM was awesome (all before GUIs became common), us computer programmers and namipulators considered ourselves as outlaws.

We existed as a sacrosanct organization of secret users that were able to incredible things with computers that most of the world was not privy too. We designed and played RPGs and MUDs (multi user dungeons) across phone lines using modems that were homemade for a large part, we communicated in languages we designed ourselves, and we ran rampantly across the environments created by ourselves to maintain and support only the elite few.

Microsoft took that away from us. Now, any idiot can use a computer, and unfortunately, they do - just look at any forum but this one. They are every where - idiots as well as forums full of them. Microsoft destroyed the art and the intelligence in computer science. I once wrote an asteroid game in under 3 kilobytes - if Microsoft did it today - they would use a couple gigs at least.

I'm not bemoaning the loss of those days. Things are most definitely better now and much cooler than the text only world that used to exist - I'm just saying that this is why a lot of folks disliked Microsoft initially and, of course, that attitude was picked up by the general public and passed on (remember that in those days the game programmers were rock stars and often emulated by the masses) and now, like certain political paries and their adherents, folks just mouth the sound bites they think makes them sound cool and thus the hate continues to perpetuate.

Just a thought

Last edited:

zynischen

Reaction score
well i believe the rest of you are correct.

sorry if this is closed topic and if it was it shouldn't allow me to post this but that coreys problem on not editing vbullitions scripting. like no offence or anything u do a great job and all.

i am a big fan of vista home premium it works perfectly just because i reformatted the hard disk when i got my new computer to remove the junk that dell puts on them and since then its fine...

i am attrully on the other side of this fence i hate mac, operating systems wicked, but look at there hardware theres like a 800% mark up on what dell sells its stuff for i dunno what they think... that we are dumb or something but we do compare prices... and that mac air wow lets put owl heads in to the sand

::biggrin:

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Why I hate Microsoft....?

Here's my reasons.

1. Microsoft product are so expensive and the way they deal with things is so terrible and sometimes they will just ignore you. The are only towards the business oriented clients and listen to them greatly.

2. Microsoft should not take over too many things or being a bully toward any other software companies, take for example Giant AntiSpyware was doing pretty good and its free for user to use it. After acquiring it, the change the entire program to what known in Vista as Windows Defender <--- the changes they made is totally difficult to use, and also not friendly.

3. Look at Windows Vista,launching it early so many hell lots of bugs compared to when Windows XP first launch. Vista already known as bloated application. Windows Boot up so long , Shutting down also long...... They still want to launch Windows 7.0 ZZZZ Oh man..... I wonder their legacy will still intact as taking windows vista core code into this one.....

4. They are a bunch of liars, they said to be more open to open source but their main motive is for themselves to improve not for any open source to get their hands on microsoft code.

These are prove of what microsoft is doing in the business and IT world...

Another reason why I hate microsoft look at the link above forcing yahoo... They want a pie of the search engine world.... to fight with google.....why because their msn search engine is an empty shell not many people is using it.Not good to use at all....

cstamper

Reaction score
Microsoft is a company. i don't hate company's, that would be just stupid.

But I really dislike most of their products. And prices... :)

And their competition is free, and far superior. (Linux)

'Nuff said. You know the rants, I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.