• OS X

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Linux (in general)

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alecto

Reaction score
Which do you think is best?? i have 2 computers and a mac already and each computer has linux and windows, and my mac has OS X <-- of course!
anyway what do all you guys think is best?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Well Linux is and always will be the best; I'm only a Windows user because it's simplified.. might be inefficient but eh it gets the job done

Alecto

Reaction score
i have all three on diferent computers/macs, but i use windows mainly for internet use, but mac alot with course work and college etc,
i think linux is best as it has alot less errors than windows, but alot of companies make their software in linux and then sell it to be compatible with windows only!

Rufio1

Reaction score
OS X is good for a lot of media applications and stuff like that, but a lot of programs arent made for macs so i just stick with window. I've heard of Linux but never looked into it so i have no idea what its like.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Stuck between Linux and Windows.

Yea yea I know, "How can you be stuck between them, linux rulz blah blah blah." I can't run 90% of my game collection on Linux, although Linux boots up and runs faster than the windows install I'm on right now....

Windows
Pros: Big freaking program collection.
Cons: CORPORATE BULL...er...that's right, can't get political with my argument or I'm no better than them :nuts: Let's leave it at that I hate the layout for the control panel, I hate how it tells me to 'check my settings' on my patch downloads (even when it's set to "download them for me, but let me choose when to install them." Thats better than every other windows xp installation on any pc my family owns!), and I really don't like having some of the most crappy software bundled with the thing - WMP? Give me VideoLAN VLC anyday. IE? Feh. The windows xp automated tour? Yes, it'd probably be useful for new xp users, but how the hell do you stop it from installing, so us more advanced users can STOP GETTING PESTERED TO TAKE A TOUR?!?!?

Linux
Pros: Depending on the package, can look alot like windows. Also seems to run faster and boot faster than windows xp when configured properly, and most of the packages have lotsa goodies to install right off the bat :biggrin:
Cons: Big freaking program collection probably doesn't work anymore :mad:

To be honest, Windows is beating Linux all over the place from what I can tell. I mean, how many games on bestbuy and walmart's shelves are linux ready? I can think of one, but that's it - ut2004. The catch: Not supported by atari if you use the linux version. And to the best of my knowledge it isn't as updated as the windows version(see 1 below)

(For the record, I didn't vote in the poll cause I can't choose two options, and I can't choose between windows and linux. Maybe if enough crossfire comes up and my position changes I can actually choose one XD)

Oh, and just a minor clarification: I don't believe windows is the best because of itself. I believe it's the best because everyone else latched onto the idea, and developed programs that only work on it. If those programs got ported to linux, I'm willing to bet what's left of my cash that linux would suddenly pop up on everyones radar - if microsoft didn't release a "security patch" that prevented it from loading that is ;)

(1)My knowledge on the linux side of ut2004 is about as good as my knowledge of a mac actually. I have no idea if they patched it up as far, but it would appear that they'd be chasing their tails since atari isn't supporting it. It appears as though if atari patches windows ut2004, then it's gotta get ripped apart to figure out what was changed, then a new patch with the same changes for the linux version would have to get made...

(reeeeely pointless little note) I really didn't know if I should push 'submit reply' on this one or not, it seems too political for my own wellbeing >_< I know it's crossfire, but try to not rip me to little shreads and feed me to the fishes with what's left of Luca Brasi, please?

dharmil

Reaction score
i dont realy know witch is the best the only one i have ever used is windows but i do have lunix and windows on my lap top just have never used lunix

Chris Z

Reaction score
i would recommend linux for advanced users, who like very stable builds, and mac os x for a more graphical experience, but also very stable, but i am currently using windows, if i had money i would buy a Mac though

nightwing00

Reaction score
While I use all three, mac and linux are my favs, since both have good qualities:

Macs are incredibly easy to use. I got my first one when I was about 10 or so, and I figured out how to use everything after about a week. Both the OSX interface AND the hardware (ibook, macbook, imac, powermac) are simply beautiful. A number of programs aren't Mac-friendly, but the number of them are slowly decreasing. Programs like Adobe Photoshop, Openoffice (And even the Micr$oft version of it), Firefox, etc all work on Macs. Aspyr games are creating mac ports of popular games, too. Macs are quiet, especially the laptops. And, like linux, they're absolutely virus/spyware/malware/blue screen-free. I've had my mac for 4 years now and it's only crashed once. Compare that to my sister's windows laptop!

As for linux, they're great because they're both free (mostly) and open-source. It's not as idiot-friendly as macs, though, and I've had some trouble with display drivers. The systems are quite speedy, and I like the idea of live cds (ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu especially) because they're fun to show off. Linuxes have pretty nice GUIs, but they're not as pretty as macs. It's nice that they're virus-free, though.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Livewire said:
Stuck between Linux and Windows.

Yea yea I know, "How can you be stuck between them, linux rulz blah blah blah." I can't run 90% of my game collection on Linux, although Linux boots up and runs faster than the windows install I'm on right now....

Have you tried Wine for Linux? It allows you to play many games, including CS:S

Last edited:

azntechguy

Reaction score
For me, I prefer Windows.

I use both Windows XP and Debian linux, but I usually use debian more as an experimental box.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I personally use Windows 2000/XP most of the time, but I have an extra offline DNS/Web Server/MySQL server I use for testing out websites. Thats currently running Fedora Core 4

red one zero

Reaction score
I was mainly a Windows user for several years; I tried a bunch of Linux distros, but I didn't really use any as my main OS until Ubuntu 6.06 came around. I've never liked Windows, despite being very proficient in using it--there were a lot of inconsistencies and just little things that were ugly or didn't make sense. Ubuntu came very close, but Linux for the desktop is still a bit too programmer-oriented.

About two weeks ago my MacBook arrived. I've been meaning to get a Mac for over two years, just for OS X. I like it because there is interface unity; the way things work is consistent across the whole OS, from program to program. I like OS X because they have such things as interface guidelines for developers to use, and they actually seem to care about aesthetics beyond making things shiny or blue. They say it "just works," and it really does--this was something I didn't really care about in the past; I like to tinker, and I prided myself on being able to make things work under Windows. But now I don't see why I should spend the time if I don't have to. I can spend that time actually being productive. :biggrin:

Oh, and I kind of stopped being a gamer last year. Although almost every program on Windows has a Mac alternative that is as good (if not better), games are still a problem. If you need it, though, Intel Macs boot Windows.

Last edited:

blackroselove

Reaction score
i run alot of my things on linux as i use wine for all my games and compile them to the pc... I play CSS on my linux machine and deus ex alot. Many Windows apps are now cross compatible with wine as it has brought out its new release for all its programs.
Linux Rules and always will do.
I also Run on Ubuntu with i386 model and also running gnome desktop but wen i play i run with fluxbox as this uses less resources and also and great for servers as it allows players to have a lower ping.

My friends site that has a linux deus ex community Deus ex Linux

Last edited:

lambada

Reaction score
I currently dualboot Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP. And while I keep meaning to switch to Linux, it just never happens - I don't exactly know why. Most likely lack of programs and because I find having to use the BASH shell a pain up the a$$ - I realise the power of Linux's shell, but I hate having top use commands like tar xsvf blah.tar when with a GUI oyu can easily right-click and select untar.

Windows on the other hand I like because of it's range of applications - even though they are mainly simplified and hard to work with when you wish to do something more advanced.

Finally - I would love to try a Mac, but I don't have the momney at the moment and I'm not sure if my parents would think it a good investment.

Therefore I abstain from voting.

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
:p Just going to point out, Mac is VERY similar to linux. It uses the same principles, file system structure, etc

nightscream

Reaction score
I have windows because I never tried anything else, I think the os is nice but
there are some things that keeps bothering me. But overall it's a good one