November 1993 Windows For Workgroups 3.11 Unsupported
September 1994 Windows NT 3.5 Unsupported
November 1994 Windows NT 3.51 Unsupported[19]
August 1995 Windows 95 Unsupported
September 1996 Windows NT 4.0 Unsupported
June 1998 Windows 98 Unsupported
February 2000 Windows 2000 Extended Support until June 13, 2010[20]
July 2000 Windows Me Unsupported
October 2001 Windows XP Unsupported for RTM as of September 30, 2004 and for SP1 as of October 10, 2006[21]
Current for SP2
March 2003 Windows XP 64-bit Edition (Itanium) Unsupported
April 2003 Windows Server 2003 / Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Unsupported for RTM, SP1 and SP1a

Current for SP2
January 2007 Windows Vista Current
2010 or later (planned) Windows 7 (Formerly codenamed Blackcomb, changed to Vienna now known as Windows 7) Future release

naynesh

Reaction score
I like Windows and Linux.
What resons do you have against and for windows and microsoft.

Microsoft
Okay, here's what I perceive as the good side of Microsoft. It was not that many years ago when I had to buy memory management software, task-switching, and a graphical user interface from three different companies, not all of whose products appreciated each other. And who can forget those wonderful times of trying to get our video board driver to work correctly with our mouse, network, and scanner drivojers? You would have to be either a real masochist or own a lot of stock in UIX to argue that we should all go back to those days! So from this, you may conclude that it makes some sense to bundle IE from a customer stundpoint, not just from Microsoft's competitive interests.

Microsoft
On the downright nasty side, we have IE as the only initial doorway to the Internet's World-Wide Web for Windows 1998. Web access is a major component of millions of people's work, entertainment, and even education (mine included). In fact, studies show that in many industries, Internet access accounts for more of the time people spend on their computers than anything else. Looking back just a few years, Bill Gates admits that he was completely blindsided by the instant success of the Internet. But, never the slow learner, Bill put the original IE on fast-track development, and today it's estimated that 38-42 percdent of all end-users have IE as their interface. And Bill was obviously not satisfied with the number-two spot behind Netscape (47-53%). His IE team started throwinsg all kinds of new resources (and much of the money) into the fray.

Linux
cons
No one commercial company is responsible for Linux. Although this is true, there are drawbacks to having one company responsible for all your software needs. Support can be a nightmare. Upgrades can take too long to come out and cost too much, in additional to causing their own problems. Bugs can be redefined as "features" or never admitted in order to limit corporate liability. But Linux has thousands of programmers and millions of users all over the world who are jointly responsible for it. The Linux community is strong on support and quick with upgrades and remedies for security and software glitches.
Linux is hard to install, learn and use. This actually isn't true. Going from one operating system to another (PC to MacOS, MacOS to OS/2, OS/2 to Pick) can always be difficult, but it doesn't have to be. With the X-Window Linux GUI, programs are available to do most of the things you're likely to want to do on your computer, in a GUI environment similar to Microsoft Windows.

Pros
Bugs are fixed quickly. Development in Linux is worldwide. Programmers from all over the world participate in making Linux a better and more stable product. When bugs are found, people in the Linux world don't try to explain them away or tell you to wait six months. With thousands of programmers across the globe involved, bugs are often fixed in a matter of hours or days. And when was the last time you talked to or emailed the programmer who wrote your program? On Linux, this can happen.

porky101

Reaction score
Windows

I think windows is overall good. For editing or just for school purposes definitely not for video games i would use Mac. For servers I would use Linux.

Last edited: