• OS X

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Linux (in general)

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Z

Reaction score
ya...Mac is based off of unix, and so is linux, so if you just said *nix or Unix then mac or linux what classify into that category

jvp856

Reaction score
I use Windows, on all my computers, because it's the OS that supports most of the games and can run the biggest part of all progies, however when I'll have 4 computers I'll put Linux on one of them.
(sorry for my poor English, I'm a BELGIAN:thefinger)

devin

Reaction score
I use windows mainly for gaming, and MSN. And random windows only stuff like mos games.

Macs are for graphics and media stuff as mentioned before.

I have linux for web server, mysql server, but my windows has the software as well. But I hate windows for servers.But I like ASP. So a combination of both, is great :) could use both PHP and ASP.

Windows is pwnage cause it could do almost everything. Most things are for windows, except for server things, most server software are for linux.

Cubeform

Reaction score
Mac OS X is not just for graphics and media and website authoring (although Apple sure makes a lot of them). It is perfect for running servers (Unix-based) and anything Linux can do.

devin said:
Windows is pwnage cause it could do almost everything. Most things are for windows, except for server things, most server software are for linux.

Most things are for Windows because Windows is the majority OS, despite the fact that it's bloated, overflowing with vulnerabilities, and looks horrible (I mean, come on. By the way, Aero is a major ripoff of Aqua). Also, Windows attempts to hide... everything from the user. And it doesn't work.

Additionally: The fact is, you're going to have to do maintenance on your computer. It's just like maintenance on your car. It's not as simple as TV. Not yet, anyways...

Also, what does an operating system have to do with its programs, again? You could run any application on any operating system. If you're talking about .NET, sorry, because there's a Linux version of .NET (Mono).

I currently have an Ubuntu 5.10 LiveCD that I run occasionally. OS X 10.5 (and a Mac) is going to be my next OS, so I chose OS X (By the way, that Time Machine feature totally beats anything Microsoft has).

Last edited:

Futeki

Reaction score
Windows - I use as I have been using it for 10years now, and because I can actually play PC games, along with just about everything else on it.

Mac - I like the design & I like the Mac OS. I just don't care for the mice, the price, and the fact that I'm very limited on what I can actually do on it, along with being very limited on where to buy parts for Mac.

Linux - I really like Linux, all the distros, and the ability to really customize everything about the OS. The only problem with Linux is that it's really only used for either coding or networking, so it's not really the OS for me as I like an OS that is more flexible as far as what applications it can handle.

In the end, Windows has my vote, as it can be used for every application under the sun. Sure it might not be the greatest for certain applications, but it can at least run said applications.

Origin

Reaction score
The only reason I mainly use WinXP is because of the lack of drivers and compatible programs with Linux.

Cubeform

Reaction score
Futeki said:
Windows - I use as I have been using it for 10years now, and because I can actually play PC games, along with just about everything else on it.

Mac - I like the design & I like the Mac OS. I just don't care for the mice, the price, and the fact that I'm very limited on what I can actually do on it, along with being very limited on where to buy parts for Mac.

Linux - I really like Linux, all the distros, and the ability to really customize everything about the OS. The only problem with Linux is that it's really only used for either coding or networking, so it's not really the OS for me as I like an OS that is more flexible as far as what applications it can handle.

In the end, Windows has my vote, as it can be used for every application under the sun. Sure it might not be the greatest for certain applications, but it can at least run said applications.

If you can't have one, then have all three.
http://www.parallels.com

Parallels Desktop/Workstation (Depending on what operating system) allows you to run Windows and Linux on a Mac (and henceforth OS X) at the same time! And they say they are working on full DirectX support, to be released in a beta this year. Just hope DirectX 10 isn't going to break it.

Edit: Note that this is virtualization software: It emulates a part of the CPU. Because you're not using Mac OS X/Windows/Linux, it should run at near-full speed.

Also, there is the standard triple-boot if you just want one OS at a time.

End Edit

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Cubeform said:

Parallels Desktop/Workstation (Depending on what operating system) allows you to run Windows and Linux on a Mac (and henceforth OS X) at the same time! And they say they are working on full DirectX support, to be released in a beta this year. Just hope DirectX 10 isn't going to break it.

Full DirectX support....thats way cool do you have a link or anything.

Futeki

Reaction score
Cubeform said:

Sounds cool, but I don't want to be running multiple Operating Systems on my PC at the same time, when I could just run one. Thanks for the link though. :)

PaulAlejandro

Reaction score
Linux (Slackware), Wintendo XP... Windows (Mostly for playing games).

70% of time i use Linux... 30% playing games like Football Manager 2006.

Alecto

Reaction score
the main reason i started using linux in the first place was because it was free, and i thought i would try it out, there are alot of versions i havent tried (it must be impossible) But i really like DSL (Damn Small Linux) and i keep it on my pen drive and take it where ever i go (for my laptop) i think its one of the best out of those i have tried, and normally around 50megs!!

simplycelebs

Reaction score
I like windows and linux. I run on a windows sistem. I havent gotten hacked before but a lot of people do say windows tends to get hacked more.

Last edited:

Alecto

Reaction score
yeah, its mostly windows haters (linux and mac users) that hack windows users, thats probely why people get hacked with windows

disturbedart

Reaction score
Meh you can play games on linux if you know what your doing. I play UT2004, CSS, HL2, Deus Ex so far and they are my main games so i wont need to install anymore really.
And linux is GOD for me it uses less resources, its quicker, runs apps cleanly, uses like 16% of my ram as windows uses 30+% meh i love linux.

I can run everything i need and i also soemtimes run in CLI

sambosch

Reaction score
Am complete Windows user.
But i want to get accquainted wih LINUX coz i think its much important coz it is becoming a need on ur Resume.

Alecto

Reaction score
well, if your new to linux, i guess ubuntu would be best to start off, although i dont like it much, it would be best for new people to linux

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
Alecto said:
well, if your new to linux, i guess ubuntu would be best to start off, although i dont like it much, it would be best for new people to linux

Ur lucky you have ubuntu..when I started learning linux I had Red Hat 8...which i liked...but not i still use a redhat dependence Fedora Core 4...also CentOS which is based of RHE (RedHat Enterprise) which is free and check that out too.

mehtab

Reaction score
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise rules over Mac OSX and linux as its easy to operate and have tools required to run business.:drool:

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
mehtab said:
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise rules over Mac OSX and linux as its easy to operate and have tools required to run business.:drool:

Ya but if you want cPanel as pf right now you need linux or *bsd..so most people get linux or *bsd web servers. If its a domain server or file server use windows;)