Why do people hate people for their religions?

Do you care how others act/believe?

• Yes

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • It bugs me

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I dont care

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters

WoWChat

Reaction score
I voted it bugs me because some people may have religions where they believe that by taking the life of another is for the greater good, and it isn't. Everyone deserves to live their own way and is entitled to a good life. You cannot go around saying "Muslims = Terrorists" because not all are, a lot are, but I am sure other muslims have learned that that was not okay. I personally am not muslim - so im not justifying anything terrorists have done. When people try to force their religions on me and say IT IS FACT and not their RELIGION it does bug me because everyone believes in their own religion (or none at all) so do not force a religion on someone else or they may choose not to accept that religion willingly.

pebbleworm

Reaction score
I don't care what other people believed as long as they act decent. When they act like dickheads and starts disrespecting me and my beliefs then I care about the way they act towards me.

LiOn AnAs

Reaction score
just dislike certain stuff, because they go around getting up in my face talking about some crap
they involed in that I do not like, just like the gay kids in my school
bragging about how they suck, I just feel like punching them in the face.

thank you

jorge777

Reaction score
Homosexuality or religion should be respected because
everyone should have free will.

wongers

Reaction score
i like how one of the opening comments is on about how being gay is not natural cause you wouldnt see 2 gay Dears getting it on, well i bet you would if Dears had a TV network for it! its not entirely uncommon for animals to get confused about sexuality especially during mating season!

and every religious document (bible etc etc etc) contradicts itself on every morale standing issue it even addresses. all they appear to do is try and tell you why your going to burn in eternal damnation unless you adhere to their rules on living.

dont get me wrong, i think Faith is a beautiful thing to have, to believe in something, someone or an ideal that can help you through a difficult time in your life, to pick yourself up and keep going is amazing! but i thinkg "Religion" is nothing more than hypocritical to essential trick people in to forming an army which can be exploited to suit the founders needs.

in a round about, its a power struggle to control the masses. simples. god bless free will ^_^

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Although this thread is almost 3 years old I guess the subject is still popular.

Back to the topic, there's a simple answer for this question (Why do people hate people for their religions?). It's because somebody told them to. Just think about it.

innominate

Reaction score
A. It is all BS.
B. Even if god did exist he didn't intend for homosexuals. Do you see gay deers having sex?
Actually, funnily enough, deer have been repeatedly observed engaging in homosexual activity, as have most primates (and indeed almost all social mammals).

truthguild

Reaction score
To answer the original question, people of one religion tend to hate people of other religions because religion is, by its very nature, divisive. It creates an "us vs. them" metality, as pointed out by faolan. The common point in all religions is that there is no empirical evidence to support them, so it basically necesitates using force, converting people, etc basically just to try to validate itself.

To make things worse, religion has and continues to have serious consequences even for those of us that think they are all rubbish. I'm often asked why I even care about religion since I'm an atheist, and there's a few reasons for this:
i care about religion because atheist boys cannot be boyscouts - even though the Boyscouts get public funding in many states and special consideration for use of public land.
i care because in the United States, it is illegal for me to hold office or testify in court in 7
different states.
i care because politicians as high as the president of the US make comments like this:
"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God" - George Bush, Sr.
I care because of Blue Laws, laws that restrict what I can do because of other people's religious beliefs.
i care because of the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance. the pledge was
originally written in aug. 1852 without the words "under god". they were added in
1954 after a campaign by the Knights of Columbus.
i care because the phrase "in god we trust" was put on coins, not since the founding of the country, but in 1864. the phrase was not introduced on the dollar bill until 1957.
i care because the United States was not founded as a christian nation, but we see christians and christian organizations attempting to make it so.
i care because we see religious organizations attempting to push religion as creationism or intelligent design into public science curriculum.
i care because we see national policies being decided on not by rational discourse but religious fervor.
i care about religion because we see fanatics killing people and blowing themselves up for their religions. we see theocracies with weapons of mass destruction.
i care about religion because atheists are the least trusted minority in the US - all because we lack belief in a god or gods.
i see these irrational beliefs trying to take away my freedoms, trying to rewrite history, affect the education of my peers, and pose a direct threat to my safety.

One final point, while I'm ranting about religion: religion presents itself as if it should be graned some sort of special repect and exeption from criticism and critical review - yet has done nothing to deserve this.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I don't dislike people for their religion but there are a few things that bug me:
1) People who are overly religious and expect you to either go out of your way to honor their beliefs, or try to convert you.
2) People who have violent religions, that cause them to do harmful things. I would not care if someone believed in humpty dumpty, but a strong satanist might make me a little uncomfortable.
3) Other people who classify people or stereo type them based on religion. IE: All jews are cheap.

Everyone has their freedom to believe whatever they want, but when those beliefs start affecting me, then we have a problem.

isiynen

Reaction score
There's a school of thought that (Gurdjieff) that thinks there are only 2 emotions. Love and Fear. Everything you feel is 1 or the other, or a combination of the 2, obviously with varying intensities.

So why do people hate over religions? More than likely it's based on fear. I'm going to use the word 'you' in a plural, generic sense here

• you're afraid they'll try to pull you away from your belief system
  • you're afraid your religion isn't the "right" one and their talk about a different one forces you to face that fear
  • you're afraid they'll turn others away from what you believe and they'll suffer because of it
  • someone used religion to control and/or terrorize you as a child and the resentment comes out as anger and hatred now

Obviously the list can go on and on - but I would think that whenever somebody hates something, it's because of their own issues from their past that they have been unable to deal with.

Don Miguel Ruiz (author of The Four Agreements) has an interesting point. I don't agree with everything he says, but one of his points is not to take anything personally. If that guy hates you because you're a jew/black/american/polka-dotted/whatever it's because of his issues. It actually has nothing to do with you. I understand it's hard to keep that train of thought in mind if somebody is threatening/menacing you, but it's a neat train of thought to follow if you've got the time to think seriously about it.

Just my .02, you're mileage may vary.

Last edited:

FreedomForAll

Reaction score
I think that people have the right to believe what they want to believe and think what they want to think, not be bossed around by their country or their people. It is a free world. Nobody ever said there had to be rules.

Reaction score
I don't hate religions or ways, I just hate communists like livewire and some other a55h0l3s that administer this forum and are too damn full of themselves to let one speak his mind. Do you care about that?

captaindata

Reaction score
Here's a syllogism. If you agree that:

1. There is more than one religion.
2. At least two or more of these religions believe everyone ELSE is going to hell.
3. Membership in any one religion is mutually exclusive of the others. You cannot, for example, simultaneously be a Christian and a Muslim.

It logically follows that:

Everyone, regardless of what religion they belong to, is going to hell.

So why fight about it?

Reaction score
No I don't care what others believe or do, but as said before, I don't like them trying to convince me into anything. I believe whatever I want and I don't need anyone to tell what I should believe and what I shouldn't. I'm not doing that to them either.

Also, I've seen on tv once that gay-ness in the animal world isn't that strange at all, nor was it in ancient Greece (I don't know if that's true or not, but if it's been on tv there is a chance it is true). I don't like it and a lot of others probably don't either, but if they love each other then let them be, who are you to deny someone else's happiness in life? Gay marriage? Fine with me, as long as I don't have to look at it I couldn't care less. There are bigger worries in the world then the love of something a lot of people can't understand.

btw, how are "No" and "I don't care" different from each other in the poll? I mean, you ask if I care or not so both answers mean the same thing.

Last edited:

wolf99

Reaction score
Whats REALLY odd about religous unrest is that nearly all religions (other than actaull devil worshipers etc) promote peacefullness as one of their main tenents and yet people manage to construe that quintisentially simple sentiment as "go out and kill people you dont like".
Also, looking to Israel as a prime example, some of the most influential steps in its history have been decided because of profit or advantage seeking, leaving Jews, a once greatly afflicted people, to now feel justified in forcing similar conflict on others...
theres more to be said but the crux of the matter is that religion is really only a fall back excuse, and that people want to exert there way of doing things over others (USA a prime example, saying that on a primarily american forum prob isnt gonna make me friends)
why they would wnat to do this other than financial gain is beyiond me....
The guy in libya muat be off his head to actually WANT to be head of government in a country that is falling to pieces, it'd be the worst job in the world if you ask me!

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
I don't care what you believe in, if you start cramming your beliefs in my face and all that, THAT I do not like. And many more. like...some stuff in the Bible...not only Christianity though

Last edited:

mastermetallica

Reaction score
I don't care what you believe in, if you start cramming your beliefs in my face and all that, THAT I do not like. And many more. like...some stuff in the Bible...not only Christianity though

This is pretty much how I feel. I am atheist, and I DO NOT have a problem with people being religious or believing in a higher being. What I DO have a problem with is when they start acting extremely superior and try to convert me to whatever they believe in. The religious people act like I've insulted them if they find out I'm atheist.

I don't go around trying to rid the world of Christians, or Judaism, or Hindus, or anything else, so I don't see why they try to rid the world of atheists. Maybe I'm the only one that experiences this, but I get it ALL the time.

Like I said I don't have a problem with people believing what they want, but personally I am not satisfied that answer to everything is an invisible deity controlling everything. Sure there are a few things that haven't been explained by science, but that makes them unexplained, not the work of a magical person. And many things from the bible have been pretty much proven false. Like the hardcore Christians that don't believe dinosaurs existed because they think Earth is only 4000 years old? Seriously? It's not like we have carbon dating and can prove the fossils come from millions of years ago.

The bible also says that every animal/creature was created in it's perfect state, meaning it is already perfect for its environment. But natural selection not only makes more sense, but has never been proven false! I do believe evolution occurred, and for you uneducated Christians, I'm not talking about Pokemon evolution. Obviously an animal or creature does not change into something entirely different overnight. I think over the billions of years Earth has existed, the first basic bacteria and single cell organisms went through evolution (as in natural selection, Google it if you don't know it) and over time diversified into many different animals and creatures. I think it makes a lot more sense than someone created everything in the blink of an eye.

Plus, there have been massive amounts of evidence supporting the theory of evolution. But then Christians will see "the theory of..." and cling onto that like proof (a) God exists. Yes, it is a theory, but I have not seen one lick of factual evidence supporting a God. Most stories you see out of the bible you would think exists in a fictional book like Harry Potter, the majority of it is absurd.

And if that common sense isn't enough, I think the many government issues in European/Asian/African countries would be solved. Most of the genocide that occurs is due to one religion thinking it's better than the others. And if you think about it, the fact that EVERY religion knows and completely believes that they are right. So wouldn't that mean either only one is actually right or none of them are? Personally, I think none is the correct answer.

Anywho like I said, I have no problem with people believing in a god and/or afterlife, it's just when they act like they are better than other people because they have lots of faith is when it annoys me. All the stuff I said is what I believe, but I don't go around trying to convince Christians to forget what they believe like they do to me and probably other atheists.

/endrant
hahah :)

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
I agree. I like to see 2 women together ;) But 2 men is just nasty. But there both wrong. And they should not be allowed to get married. Marriage is between man and women.

Your right, it has to be a bond between man and woman. Lesbo's are fine only to watch , but no one likes them around in the female community either.
They should not be allowed to stay with the normal folk.

THAT'S what I really hate. there is absolutely nothing wrong with gays or lesbians. Or gay marriage.

I hate the people that say something is some way because of the bible or according to God. And I hate people that discriminate against people that are different just because it goes against their beliefs.

mastermetallica

Reaction score
THAT'S what I really hate. there is absolutely nothing wrong with gays or lesbians. Or gay marriage.

I hate the people that say something is some way because of the bible or according to God. And I hate people that discriminate against people that are different just because it goes against their beliefs.

I didn't even mention gay marriage, but I agree. I think people should be allowed to do what they want, although I do think it is pretty weird :/

I definitely would have nothing to do with it but I don't think the government has the right to tell people what they can and cannot do, it makes them seem like communists.