100% protected template?

Teensweb

Reaction score
Is it possible to make a template for your site that cannot be copied. I literally mean that whatever methods you imply, except hacking the server and getting direct access to source file the template should not be copyable. According to my experiance, it is not possible. What do you think?

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
since all browsers have the option to view source I think that there's no way to prevent the template to be copied.

suppose making a flash site would do the trick though, but I doubt that is a good choice at all times.

Teensweb

Reaction score
Don't you know anything about flash decompilers, dude?

Last edited:

akkudreamz

Reaction score
well anything that the browser can process, can be copied and hacked,
there's nothing perfect, besides design is something that is copied very easily, but i dont think that a copied design is going to help the copier :p

in case you are into making and selling templates, that is a real problem, what you can do is just show a snapshot of the design, and not a demo.
Still the creativity of the designer in making the layout can be made use of just by copying

Armacci Design

Reaction score
Yeah, it's literally impossible. Any browser has the ability to view the source, and even having a .swf won't work. I have seen one website that had every page broken up into smaller images dynamically with PHP, so essentially the source was a bunch of img tags. With that, you'd have to download each image, and write a script to assemble the jigsaw puzzle again.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Actually there are some tools that encrypt HTML source but as people said before there's nothing that can't be hacked.

You can find one here or just google it to find more.
http://www.designerwiz.com/mf.htm?http&&&www.designerwiz.com/generator/encryptHTML.htm

Although it's far from perfect it can stop people that aren't familiar with the subjects (and most of them aren't).

A was talking about coding and not design cos you can always copy the design. There's nothing that can stop anybody from coping the design they can actually see. If you can see it you can copy it (if you are skilled enough).

zen-r

Reaction score
Alternatively, make your design so bad that no-one would want to copy it ;)

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't you know anything about flash decompilers, dude?

I don't even know how to make a flash site to start with... :) I just know that you can't view source from the browser

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Plus, Anna isn't a Guy!

FAIL

Wolfhaze

Reaction score
I've heard of breaking pages up into tiny images.

The problem I see with that (and with using Flash) is that it really isn't appropriate in all cases and can even be considered bad design. Believe it or not, not everyone has high-speed just yet, or care to install specialized players. :)

Teensweb

Reaction score
"I don't even know how to make a flash site to start with... I just know that you can't view source from the browser"
Just google it, you'll find that decompilers convert .swf into source file- .fla
Edit:
You don't even need skill - just a print screen key and Photoshop
You're damn new to the subject mate, try doing it yourself...
First thing, print screen will not deliver transparent images as such.
And makin an image transparent with photoshop is damn messy and nearly impossible, Even if you do it, you'll lose the img quality. So you need to save each image separately...

You can find one here or just google it to find more.
http://www.designerwiz.com/mf.htm?ht...ncryptHTML.htm
That link says you need js enabled, I've it enabled and I'm on ff 3

Last edited:

Armacci Design

Reaction score
You're damn new to the subject mate, try doing it yourself...

I was being sarcastic, but I'm by no means new to photoshop. There is no need for ad hominem arguments in Crossfire.

I've been using photoshop professionally for the past ten years, and by no means did I mean you could just screenshot a website and automatically have all the layer effects intact. However, a screenshot essentially tells you exactly what you need to do, as well as exactly where to put everything; anybody worth their salt can recognize when certain layer effects and filters are used by looking at an image. You essentially get a blueprint for it.

Also, making an image transparent requires a simple change of the opacity percentage on its specific layer. That's it.

Last edited:

Teensweb

Reaction score
OK, let's not fight here. You may not be new- sorry you ARE not new, fine. But i just said the print screen isn't sufficient and you need a skill for it(which I think you already have,lol)
As you said that you're just being sarcastic, Let's pass it off as a joke....

zen-r

Reaction score
One good thing came out of your head-to-head.........I've added "ad hominem" to my vocabulary. Thanks Armacci Design ;)

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I know that this would be kind of hard to maintain, but putting all HTML in one line will make them confused ;)

crazyn00b

Reaction score
To all here:

Preventing ppl frm ripping ur page by viewing page source is easy.

1. Pack all ur web files into another folder
2. in the index files, make sure it ONLY HAS an include that redirects to the index u packed, this way, when ppl view page source, they only see <include,......>.

U might need to fix some links though.

Steeevoe

Reaction score
To all here:

Preventing ppl frm ripping ur page by viewing page source is easy.

1. Pack all ur web files into another folder
2. in the index files, make sure it ONLY HAS an include that redirects to the index u packed, this way, when ppl view page source, they only see <include,......>.

U might need to fix some links though.

If you have tried view source on a webpage that uses an include you will know you can see all the HTML that the file you are including contains, thus making it copyable and pastable

Teensweb

Reaction score
Yeah, people who may want to copy your site may not be always stupids!