360 vs. ps3

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360

Exactly, which is why whichever console can produce the better image on a resolution greater than 1080p at better framerates is the winner. This includes things such as AA, Textures, and shading speed.

That doesn't even make sense. Neither console supports anything greater than 1080p.

Most games aren't even 1080p, they are upscaled from 720p. Even then some games have weird resolutions like GTA4 for the PS3 runs at 630p naively and the 360 version runs at a true 720p.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

That doesn't even make sense. Neither console supports anything greater than 1080p.

Most games aren't even 1080p, they are upscaled from 720p. Even then some games have weird resolutions like GTA4 for the PS3 runs at 630p naively and the 360 version runs at a true 720p.

Actually it does. Take a 1080p TV and run two 720p feeds through it, one with some compression, one with virtually any compression what so ever, both look the same on a 720p TV. Same video feed and settings. You'll notice that despite the video being upscaled to 1080p which adds distortion, the one with the least amount of compression will look better, even when they look the same on a 720p TV quality wise. Same goes for consoles in a way, whichever one can maintain higher quality graphics without sacraficing framerate at the max HD setting possible. Games having lower resolutions on consoles that are more than capable of running it on their max settings is at the fault of the developer, not the console as well.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Actually it does. Take a 1080p TV and run two 720p feeds through it, one with some compression, one with virtually any compression what so ever, both look the same on a 720p TV. Same video feed and settings. You'll notice that despite the video being upscaled to 1080p which adds distortion, the one with the least amount of compression will look better, even when they look the same on a 720p TV quality wise. Same goes for consoles in a way, whichever one can maintain higher quality graphics without sacraficing framerate at the max HD setting possible. Games having lower resolutions on consoles that are more than capable of running it on their max settings is at the fault of the developer, not the console as well.

So what exactly are you trying to prove?

iky0294

Reaction score
I like the ps3 because free online, but xbox because games, umm Xbox I say.

xPlozion

Reaction score
well, you get what you pay for as far as online play is concerned. xbox live, albeit it costs money ($50/yr) has much better features, and they're more streamlined. the playstation trophies were/are such a joke. Look at the guide for the xbox (friendslist, messaging, recent players, voice chat) all accessible at any time. There's no need to go back to the dashboard (xmb on playstation) to do any of that.

Also, they stripped the backwards compatibility with all but the 80gb version of the console, as well as other features that i cannot think of atm since launch. I'm not saying that xbox's backwards compatibility is the greatest (cause they use a software emulator), but their list is improving.

Also, as far as games go, I don't really see any reason for me to buy a ps3 for games, since I've got the xbox already. Also, take a look at a couple of games for both the xbox and the ps3, such as the orange box. The framerate on the ps3 is so horrid and choppy. The game got over a 9.0 review on gamespot, but was nowhere near that on the ps3. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six has no following, and bad support on the ps3, whereas the xbox again, one of the top rated games. Aside from a few exclusives, such as metal gear solid, little big planet, and grand turismo (hey, i've got forza), there's not much that's impressive).

I don't know how the marketplace/store's compare to each other, as I have not personally used the playstation store, but my friend has it.

Also, don't forget that there's an update on Nov 19 for any xbox user. a new dashboard and the ability to stream over 120000 movies from netflix.

w/e, that's all i'm gonna say. i'm not gonna get into hardware specs, as games and features matter more for me than how powerful it is.

Last edited:

Satoru

Reaction score
I mean, you gotta look at the fact that xbox has been out nearly a year onger than ps3 so naturally it has a bigger catalogue of games.
Give the ps3 time, in my opinion it is more future proof.

PS3 Pros
- BluRay (main thing)
- PVR capability
- Built in Wi-Fi
- Technically more powerful hardware (but its negligible to the untrained eye to be hoenst)
- It's a playstation :p
- Wireless controllers out the box
- Free online play

360 is a good console and it does have a nice selection of games. Also its alot cheaper than the PS3 but you should consider what you will be spending to get the best out of your xbox compared to the Ps3 price.

bigtree

Reaction score

Do you even know the process they use?

Microsoft never requests you to send in your hard drive for them to transfer the files for you. In fact if your hard drive is that messed up they will just send you a new hard drive, free of charge no less.

Sure you lose your saved games, but there are always back up measures for that like memory cards.

THat's what I'm saying... Microsoft's warranty sucks! They have no "no-lemon" policy. If Microsoft's warranty was worth using, they would have this policy.

So, default settings vs default settings = untrue comparison? Nah, that's not how it works.

Show me proof the PS3 "gets better graphics".

This thread is PS3 vs 360, not PC vs Consoles.
No. the point was that the PS3's settings aren't tweaked to optimal settings while the Xbox 360's settings are.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

THat's what I'm saying... Microsoft's warranty sucks! They have no "no-lemon" policy. If Microsoft's warranty was worth using, they would have this policy.

I don't see how it's bad. Explain to me your reasoning.

No. the point was that the PS3's settings aren't tweaked to optimal settings while the Xbox 360's settings are.

If both are on the default settings then how can one be more "tweaked" than the other?

Oh and if you'd like some more comparisons check here.

Scroll down and you can even view past "face-off" articles with comparisons.

bigtree

Reaction score

I don't see how it's bad. Explain to me your reasoning.
I've said it twice, now. No "no-lemon" policy and no replacement guarantee!

If both are on the default settings then how can one be more "tweaked" than the other?
They aren't. PS3 is on it's worst setting.

Oh and if you'd like some more comparisons check here.

Scroll down and you can even view past "face-off" articles with comparisons.

I'm sorry, but that's just biased junk. No offense.

PS: I really like your signature!

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

I've said it twice, now. No "no-lemon" policy and no replacement guarantee!

Then this "no-lemon" policy you're talking about is wrong. They have replaced many consoles.

They aren't. PS3 is on it's worst setting.

There's a worst setting? So there's a setting that intentionally makes graphics bad?

I'm sorry, but that's just biased junk. No offense.

PS: I really like your signature!

Biased? Eurogamer? Please, if you think that sites biased then you will claim every single gaming site is biased.

It's your right to cling to the belief but you have nothing to back your statements up. Claim they are biased all you want, but if you do, prove they are biased.

Clinton

Reaction score

This thread is still going? lol. There are tons of games for both consoles now for everyone to enjoy.

sfan123

Reaction score

yeah i agree now there is around a equal number coming out for both consoles

bigtree

Reaction score

Then this "no-lemon" policy you're talking about is wrong. They have replaced many consoles.
It doesn't look like you read what I said. A no-lemon policy is when they replace it after repetitive fixing, instead of just always replacing or fixing it.

There's a worst setting? So there's a setting that intentionally makes graphics bad?
No. Different configurations for different TVs and such.

Biased? Eurogamer? Please, if you think that sites biased then you will claim every single gaming site is biased.
But most gaming sites are!

This thread is still going? lol. There are tons of games for both consoles now for everyone to enjoy.
So? That's not helping us decide which one is better...

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

It doesn't look like you read what I said. A no-lemon policy is when they replace it after repetitive fixing, instead of just always replacing or fixing it.

I've read it fine. You claimed they do not guarantee a replacement which is false. Many people have had there console fixed which would alleviate the reason to replace the console and the ones that were unfixable got replacement units.

It's hardly a "No-Lemon" policy.

No. Different configurations for different TVs and such.

TV configuration has nothing to do with it. Videos are made using HD capture cards and it only gets footage from the output of the console.

But most gaming sites are!

Most people think about what they want to say before they post. Obviously this is a bold statement which has no backing what-so-ever. I appreciate the effort though.

KSclans

Reaction score

It really depend on what screen you have for Xbox my uncle buy the xbox but he use those old TV those just ruin the xbox, but PS3 BETTER! can we vote or something ?

CnTalk

Reaction score

I like the 360 games better but the PS3 is good for the blu ray player, I currently only own a 360 but am considering buying a PS3 after the holidays.