Change X10 Sub-Domain to Your Owned Domain

rockee

Reaction score
I have just had great success changing from my X10HOSTING free sub-domain rocky.elementfx.com to my registered domain name gemmas.ws.

Here's how I did it from information derived from doing a forum search - a very useful tool indeed.

1. I logged in to my Account Management Panel (AMP) to check the current details.
Everything looked correct for rocky.elementfx.com.

Now I can check that gemmas.ws will be accepted on X10

2. I ticked the box Check if using your own domain name under ACCOUNT DETAILS
The text box now becomes empty and available to enter your own domain name.

3. I typed in gemmas.ws and clicked on the button Confirm domain to check the domain name's availability.
I received a message back in green:
The domain you have chosen is currently available

Now everything checks out OK and I can proceed with the next phase of changing the nameservers at the domain name registrar I registered gemmas.ws with.

Leave the AMP open, and in a new browser tab go to your domain name registrar - I use GoDaddy so I will explain what I did there.

4. Log in to GoDaddy and go to My Account and look for Manage Domains and click on the menu item to go there.

5. Next click on the current link to your NS1 and NS2 settings.

6. Replace the current nameserver setting with:
NS1.X10HOSTING.COM
NS2.X10HOSTING.COM

7. Click on Save and OK in the next 2 screens.
You will receive a confirmation email that your changes have been noted.
Job done so you can now log out of GoDaddy.

8. Return to the AMP where you still have your domain name entered in the box.

9. Click on the button Confirm hosting details and take notice of the warning
Please only hit confirm once and be patientas this message is very important to having a successful transition.

10. Now you will have to wait for the nameserver changes you made at your domain name registrar to propagate the Internet, which could take up to 48 hours.
(After the 2 day wait - this is because the .ws TLD is operated by some very laid back South Pacific Islanders - my gemmas.ws was ready and I can now access my web site and my cPanel with no problems at all).

BTW the TLD .ws can now be transferred to another domain name registrar, which was not previously allowed - this info found under the FAQ sub heading
.WS Ownership Transfers
Can I transfer my domain to another registrar?

at the World Site Registry

In the mean time your X10HOSTING subdomain will become unavailable including the associated cPanel.

Be patient at this stage and do some work on your site on your PC or otherwise occupy your time until your nameserver changes takes effect.

You can however still access your cPanel, if you need to use it, by simply using your server's shared IP address, like so:
67.228.161.42:2082/
and entering your current user/pass - the one you signed up with and the one you use to access these forums.

If you had upgraded your PHP to Intermediate then it should remain the same after your domain name change - mine did.

If you have not upgraded PHP and you wish your domain name to have the Intermediate extended features, then you can upgrade your PHP before closing the AMP and wait some more for the upgrade confirmation email from X10HOSTING.

The above process required no intervention from X10HOSTING staff, that I was aware of.
Also it eliminates the need to post a forum request to have your sub-domain changed to your owned domain name.

Now when you check the Detailed Hosting Account Information under the heading HOSTING ACCOUNT INFORMATION in the AMP you will see the new details for your owned domain name.

If hope I have not missed anything and this how-to proves to be helpful.

Good luck with it.

Regards,
Rocky

prppedro

Reaction score
Nice tutorial ¬¬

I'm going to test my UNI.CC account and Free.DNS

reglus

Reaction score
awsome i will need to have a go at this. You gave the tutorial in great detail :biggrin:

rockee

Reaction score
Thanks very muchly goes to all those members who gave this me a positive rep, much appreciated.

Regards,
Rocky

tittat

Reaction score
ian using my own domain.But i still use x10 subdomain at account panel.Because i can double check with both domains if site is unavailable.Nice idea is it?

pathaka

Reaction score
Hey,
Great man..
Thanks a lot.
Your tutorial was of great help to me.

:happysad:

1erik1

Reaction score
haha yea when I tried to do this it took me a while to figure it out.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry, but you forgot a step.

You have to click, "Update my account details" for the domain to be saved.

mroctogon

Reaction score
Awesome tutorial! works like a champ. One question though:
I got www.mydomain.org to direct to mroctogon.x10hosting.com just like you said, but in the address bar it changes to say mroctogon.x10hosting.com, and not mydomain.org like I would like it to. Where can I make this change? Thank you.

rockee

Reaction score
sorry, but you forgot a step.

You have to click, "Update my account details" for the domain to be saved.
I don't see that clickable "Update my account details" item in my AMP.

If your AMP is different, then by all means substitute item 9 for the button provided to save the changed domain name details in your implementation of the AMP.

Item 9 saves the changed domain and password details in my implementation of the AMP, which is correct for this tutorial and so was not forgotten.
Awesome tutorial! works like a champ. One question though:
I got www.mydomain.org to direct to mroctogon.x10hosting.com just like you said, but in the address bar it changes to say mroctogon.x10hosting.com, and not mydomain.org like I would like it to. Where can I make this change? Thank you.

Perhaps you missed the point of this tutorial.

It is not for directing your main domain mydomain.org to a sub-domain mroctogon.x10hosting.com, it is for replacing your free x10 sub-domain with your owned domain, if you actually do own the domain name and have changed the nameservers to point to the x10 nameservers, at your domain name registrar.

Remember you have to wait for the nameserver changes to propagate the Internet which can take up to 48 hours.

If and when the changes to the domain name have been successful and have propagated then you will only be able to login to your cPanel with your owned domain name http://mydomain.org:2082 - do not use a www in front of mydomain.org in the above tutorial or the process will fail.

BTW, www is really only a sub-domain of mydomain.org anyway, so don't use it when configuring anything to do with your domain name, only use it in your browser address bar.

Your free x10 sub-domain mroctogon.x10hosting.com will be no more after following the tutorial.

Check in your cPanel after making the changes outlined in the tutorial and after waiting for propagation, that all you have is your mydomain.org in the Main domain field.

Is now possible to have more domains using the Addon Domains feature under the cPanel heading Domains or you can add domains using the Parked Domains feature or simply by adding sub-domains to your mydomain.org using the Subdomains feature
So you may want forums.mydomain.org by configuring the Subdomains feature in cPanel.

Did you, previous to following the tutorial, set a Redirects in cPanel under the heading Domains?
If so then you need to delete that redirect if it redirecting to your free x10 subdomain but as far as I am aware this would be removed by the server script that set's up your domain name change.

BTW, clear your browser's cache often when making any changes, as the browser's cache may be serving a old cached page to you.

Regards,
Rocky

Last edited:

varunrai

Reaction score
When i tried updating .. I got the following error

An Error Has Occurred
Whoops, it appears that there was an error modifying your domain. The errors are listed below.

* Whm error: account package id no longer exists in the panel. (code modifydomain_1)

You may attempt to correct any errors that occurred after continuing.

rockee

Reaction score
Try again to do the deed and if you get the same message then post your issue in the Free Hosting forum where tech. support staff are in attendance - they have access to the Web Host Manager (WHM) and so may be able to fix it for you.

Regards,
Rocky

clanuis

Reaction score
Hey! Thanks for the tutorial!

But I have a problem. IT access just fine with domain.net but if I try www.domain.net it doesn't work. I tried to add "www" as a subdomain but the cpanel didn't let me to do that because "www" may not be configured as a subdomain explicitly =/

How to make it work with or without "www"?

Edit: Jeje, nevermind. It works now. It just needed more time. In 6 hours everything was ok ^_^ Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
Very nice tutorial. Nice work on it :) I'm sure it will help a lot of users.
+rep

nicedatx10

Reaction score
i wanna know my website ip (server ip in AMP - it is?), to add A-record.
i use search, but can't find how to solve my problem.

thx

Last edited:

rockee

Reaction score
@nicedatx10

The server IP displayed in your AMP is your server's main IP.

For example, me on Lotus is:
Server Name: Lotus.x10
IP Address: 67.228.161.42

You can find your shared IP using your cPanel and reading the info in the left panel where you can see that the IPs are different:
Server Name: Lotus
Shared IP Address:67.228.162.200

Your website IP therefore is the shared IP found in your cPanel not the one found in your AMP.

For example, my old X10 Hosting address on Lotus would look like this:
rocky.elementfx.com = 67.228.162.200

For absolute certainty, as I am not sure if you can use either of those IPs, post your message in the Free Hosting forum where an X10 Hosting techo will give you a definitive answer about what to use in your zone file's A Record edits for your particular web site.

I hope this has been some help to you.

Regards,
Rocky