How do I remove employer'S internet monitoring software?

luisting

Reaction score
My boss installed internet monitoring software on my personal computer. I don't know if this is even legal, but I found the program and am wondering if I can remove it in add/remove programs and that will do it???

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
First of all if you could just uninstall it like a regular program that would be quite a useless peace of software. On the other hand if your boss installed it, he would be sure to check the results and if you uninstall it he would know. It is not a good idea to mess around with your boss like that :)

Instead of uninstalling you could simply get around it. There is a free software and an open network that can help you do that. It's called Tor. If you are not familiar with it and don't know how to set it up you could use a portable version of Opera with the integrated Tor software and put it on your usb flash drive. This bundle is called OperaTor and can be found here.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
"Your" personal computer? As in, you own it? Or do you mean the computer you work at on your job?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
So you use it at work, as your main computer?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
An employer has the right to whatever the feel is appropriate and necessary with company owned computer equipment and networks. My sister has a laptop which is actually owned by the school district she works for. She keeps it in her possession and is free to use for personal use as well as job related tasks. However her employer has the right to install security and / or monitoring software on this computer if they wish and, in fact, they have. Now, if this a computer which you own and were using on the job that would be a different matter completely in my opinion.

Paul M.

Reaction score
our company managers also installed some internet monitoring software to track us.. they say it's legal and if PCs are owned by a company, they can deploy anything they want.. it's concerned that employees do not use computers for a personal use on the work.. are they right??

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Of course they are. If you want to play games online, or visit questionable sites, or email your friends, do it on your own time and on your own computer. Or find another employer.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Of course they are. If you want to play games online, or visit questionable sites, or email your friends, do it on your own time and on your own computer. Or find another employer.

Or get a smartphone...

When it comes to companies, it's a case of 'if you've got nothing to hide what's the problem?', but whilst at work you are there to work. Luckily my employer is fairly ... tolerant of taking short breaks, checking the news occasionally etc., as long as I get the job done! Which I do...

You pretend to work, they pretend to pay you.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thier computer, thier rules for the most part.
Often this kind of monitoring software has access to the webcam (if connected) so there may be some privacy issues, so you may wish to clarify just what exactly the employer is monitoring. It may well be that the provider of the laptop is also paying for the internet connection via a 3G dongle, in such a cases circumventing the watchdog software is pointless.

Anyhow, the simplest answer is to use a Linux distro such as Slax, Puppy or the ever popular Ubuntu and boot the laptop from a CD or USB drive. Thus allowing the use of the all the PC hardware without windows or the added extras of your employer being activated.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
My boss installed internet monitoring software on my personal computer. I don't know if this is even legal, but I found the program and am wondering if I can remove it in add/remove programs and that will do it???
You have to go to the administrator account and do that.
By the way do you know the name of the software.If so the help can be more specific.
leviathon's advice may work if it is an installed program but there can be scripts which run on the startup and could not be uninstalled.
Further the other software kinds may require a password to uninstall ..

Paul M.

Reaction score
but what if an employer will deploy a monitoring software in a hidden mode without notifying employees? is it legal?

ashleyashley

Reaction score

If you didn't agree to install any monitoring software in you machine, then that's illegal. And I think employee monitoring is legal as long as the computers belong to the employers. You can easily delete it in add/remove programs. In our office we use employee software for time tracking to monitor employees. But we all agree to use the software to monitor employee productivity. :)

henk506673

Reaction score
If you didn't agree to install any monitoring software in you machine, then that's illegal. And I think employee monitoring is legal as long as the computers belong to the employers. You can easily delete it in add/remove programs. In our office we use employee software for time tracking to monitor employees. But we all agree to use the software to monitor employee productivity. :)

i dissagree. it is not your computer, it is not legaly yours, you have no right to remove any software or install software therefore, the piece of software installed by your employer must stay. also, if you do work around it or uninstall it, then you could be potentaily fired or worse.

Jennacide

Reaction score
but what if an employer will deploy a monitoring software in a hidden mode without notifying employees? is it legal?

Of course it's legal, it's THEIR computer, not yours, mine or anyone else's, theirs and only theirs. They ALLOW someone to use it, that's it, nothing more, nothing less.

Why is this such a difficult thing for people to understand? Surf pr0n on your own time guys, geeze.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Well said. Idiots. Look forward to the garden leave.....

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Of course it's legal, it's THEIR computer, not yours, mine or anyone else's, theirs and only theirs. They ALLOW someone to use it, that's it, nothing more, nothing less.

Why is this such a difficult thing for people to understand? Surf pr0n on your own time guys, geeze.
Yeah..I agree with you
Why should the employer pay for "Not Working" people!!He has all rights to put the software that he can..
What is so clandestine about the internet surfing unless the employee is doing something wrong!!

Jennacide

Reaction score
If you absolutely can't stand not being away from face book, get a smartphone and knock yourselves out.

dfsgdgdf

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the people posting links in this thread are spammers.