!!!! The NEW Biggest thread !!!!

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Welcome to x10Hosting Jay. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
We do have an introductions forum, but here is just as good I suppose.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Blonde moment, or a bad day in general? Lol.
Well I'm not blonde and today hasn't been too bad so I don't know. lol
Just a moment of stupidity I guess.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Well I'm not blonde and today hasn't been too bad so I don't know. lol
Just a moment of stupidity I guess.

Lol, I get them frequently.

Anyone doing anything fun today? I'm trying to make Ubuntu Server 'work with' my router and getting nowhere, VirtualBox's crap NAT networking is beginning to get frustrating, VMWare is much more tempting.

-Luke.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol, I get them frequently.

Anyone doing anything fun today? I'm trying to make Ubuntu Server 'work with' my router and getting nowhere, VirtualBox's crap NAT networking is beginning to get frustrating, VMWare is much more tempting.

-Luke.

Well, other than blowing people's heads off in games with rocket launchers or making money by repairing computers for the local area, I'm not doing much lol. By the way, are you trying to use UPnP? Most of the time that hardly works. Stick with standard Port Forwarding :D

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Well, other than blowing people's heads off in games with rocket launchers or making money by repairing computers for the local area, I'm not doing much lol. By the way, are you trying to use UPnP? Most of the time that hardly works. Stick with standard Port Forwarding :D

No no, I'm trying to figure out why my Ubuntu Server virtual machine has been assigned an IP address (10.0.2.15) which my router can't / wouldn't assign (it only creates them on 192.168.1.2-254) and is just being generally stupid and annoying. VirtualBox really does suck when compared to VMWare Server, I'm going to install that if my last OS reinstall and play around doesn't work.

If anyone knows how to make VirtualBox behave properly with NAT I'd love to know.

-Luke.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
No no, I'm trying to figure out why my Ubuntu Server virtual machine has been assigned an IP address (10.0.1.15) which my router can't / wouldn't assign (it only creates them on 192.168.1.2-254) and is just being generally stupid and annoying. VirtualBox really does suck when compared to VMWare Server, I'm going to install that if my last OS reinstall and play around doesn't work.

-Luke.

Well hey, if worst does come to worst, you can always turn your Linux box into a router like what I have here, and make your current router just a simple switch/access point. It can be done if you have your Linux box do NAT and DHCP abilities.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Well hey, if worst does come to worst, you can always turn your Linux box into a router like what I have here, and make your current router just a simple switch/access point. It can be done if you have your Linux box do NAT and DHCP abilities.

I wish I could. I'm running it in a VM because I don't have a spare box, nor the money to power two machines when I only really need one. The VM only needs 512MB RAM and a limited slice of my processor (500MHz max for the traffic really).

But yeah, VirtualBox is getting extremely annoying with its bad manners with the web. The IP doesn't even resolve right for crying out loud.

-Luke.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
haha. Well, if you can get yourself another box (I have 7 boxes here now lol :lol:) set it up on that. All you need is a 100 Watt system.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
* Luke proceeds to come up with a list of things he'd like to say in an email to Sun's employees about their virtualisation software. He tries his best to hold back bad language but just gives up on the whole thing. VMWare Server 2.0 beats this crap hands down! *

Yeah I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 followed by Ubuntu Server 2.0. VirtualBox has to be the worst program I've ever used - its networking (or not-working ;)) capabilities need some looking into. Put simply, they suck. Lol.

-Luke.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow, Apache was really slowing my computer down last night so I totally removed it and PHP and MySQL. :eek4:
Now it's a lot faster.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Wow, Apache was really slowing my computer down last night so I totally removed it and PHP and MySQL.
Now it's a lot faster.
I've found that before. Those are a really drag on performance.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
What was Apache doing that caused you to slow down? Using too much memory or CPU? I used to remember back in the early stages of setting up my Linux box, I used to run my home server off of my old gaming computer, just a 2.4GHz Celeron system with 256MB of RAM. It ran fine, but it was on Windows. When I got my Linux box set up with Apache and routing abilities, that's when I moved everything to there.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
It's (shall I say was) on Ubuntu 8.04 except I didn't have much space because I need my Windows partition so my Ubuntu one isn't all that big.
So I deleted the whole webserver and restarted it and it worked a lot faster.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Cool. LOL for the last hour and a half, I've been blowing up Blue Base on Halo with rockets and frag grenades lol.

BLUE BASE GO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Last edited:

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
1.5 hours? I play Guitar Hero/Rockband for 4 hours straight sometimes!
God, I seriously can not wait until Rockband 2 and Guitar Hero Metallica comes out.
I have my $100 ready. :biggrin:

LHVWB

Reaction score
Halo, you're making me remember Red vs Blue. Great show/series. :)

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score

LHVWB

Reaction score
I have never really played Halo that much at all, but I love Red vs Blue. The humour is great. :)

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to have to change the topic of conversation, but....VMware Server 2 rocks. It might be a beta, but it's still more stable than VirtualBox. The remote console addon for Firefox doesn't officially support 3.0.1 so I had to edit the install.rdf file to make it install but it works fine after a bit of editing. But yeah my test server works now :).

-Luke.