Using Xampp

Wizet

Reaction score
How can use XAMPP to make a website public? I looked in my computer files and I couldn't find the folder to it. I know it has something to do with websites because it would have Apache, MySQL, and FileZila for a reason.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
1. uninstall xampp
2. Install wampserver http://www.wampserver.com/
3. Put files in the www folder
4. click on the wampicon and press "put online"
5. Make an exeption for httpd and mysqld in your firewall

xampp is outdated and has no real PHP installation (no session management, old phpMyAdmin, language files missing in the distribution, makes your system unstable)

cenobite321

Reaction score
1. Check if everything is configured correctly by opening a web browser and then type in the address bar: localhost. (You should see the XAMPP logo)

2. Put all your website content in the folder C:\xampp\htdocs (remember to replace the famous index file).

3. Repeat step 1. You should see your own index file

4. Go to no-ip.org OR dyndns, pick up a domain and then download their software and keep it open so it auto-synchronize your ip with the domain. (For example my website is: http://ruinainevitable2-1.no-ip.biz)

5. Go to Start-->Control Panel-->Windows Firewall and on the tab exceptions click on Add Port... and input the following:
Name: HTTP
Port: 80

If you want to connect to MySQL remotely in case you want to copy your website to any other place type

Name: MySQL
Port: 3306

6. IF you are behind a firewalled router open the same ports in the firewall. Go to http://portforward.com/routers.htm and search for your router for instructions for how to do this
I'll recommend you to use WAMP since you have more control over things. In case you want to add PERL to WAMP (since it doesn't have it installed by default) you can install it manually.

In case you use WAMP do the same steps mentioned but instead of your web folder being C:\xampp\htdocs, it will be C:\wamp\www

Last edited:

Wizet

Reaction score
I'm still getting MySQL error. But I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did everything correctly.

cenobite321

Reaction score
I think you should open port 80 and configure a No-IP account first since I get a timeout error. (or post the error you are getting)

You can also try to click on the WAMP tray icon and click on Restart all services.

As a side note, if you have IIS (Microsoft Internet Information Services) installed there could be some conflict between WAMP and IIS. In case it is installed go to Start --> Run and then type "net stop iisadmin" and type yes to all

Wizet

Reaction score
The problem that I'm having with my WAMP is that instead of everybody being able to see it I am the only that is able to see it.

t2t2t

Reaction score
xampp is outdated and has no real PHP installation (no session management, old phpMyAdmin, language files missing in the distribution, makes your system unstable)
"Contents of XAMPP Windows 1.7.0 (Basic package) said:
Apache HTTPD 2.2.11, MySQL 5.1.30, PHP 5.2.8 + Switch, Openssl 0.9.8i, phpMyAdmin 3.1.1, XAMPP Control Panel 2.5, Webalizer 2.01-10, Mercury Mail Transport System v4.52, FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.29, SQLite 2.8.15, ADODB 4.98, Zend Optimizer 3.3.0, XAMPP Security, Ming.
Tell me how that's outdated.
The problem that I'm having with my WAMP is that instead of everybody being able to see it I am the only that is able to see it.
You most probably have:
a) Closed ports (if you connect straight to the Internet)
b) Router isn't redirecting traffic to your computer

In case you have a router, go to http://portforward.com/routers.htm (as told earlier), find your router and make an rule for port 80 (You'll understand when you get there)

If you have ports closed, you can try changing your port and then using no-ip to reroute traffic to that port. Of course you first have to find a port that's open.

Last edited:

GTKILLA

Reaction score
Try turning off your firewall or add a exception for port 80 and if your firewall doesnt have a except for xampp/wamp then add one.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
My version of xampp has everything. not outdated at all.

t2t2t

Reaction score
Yeah, mine also has everything, including latest phpMyAdmin...

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
well, session() is still missing, and the languagefiles for XAMPP is corrupt on my PC (they get it after a while). Only thing I can do about it is to format my PC and reinstall XAMPP, but I won't do that

Wizet

Reaction score
Tell me how that's outdated.

You most probably have:
a) Closed ports (if you connect straight to the Internet)
b) Router isn't redirecting traffic to your computer

In case you have a router, go to http://portforward.com/routers.htm (as told earlier), find your router and make an rule for port 80 (You'll understand when you get there)

If you have ports closed, you can try changing your port and then using no-ip to reroute traffic to that port. Of course you first have to find a port that's open.

If I am correct a router has 2+ ethernet ports and a modem has 1 ethernet port. Because I think I have a modem.

radofeya

Reaction score
Anybody know how to install perl for WAMP?
Where can I get the installer or plugin?

kkenny

Reaction score
If I am correct a router has 2+ ethernet ports and a modem has 1 ethernet port. Because I think I have a modem.

Not always, sometimes there are modems that have multiple ethernet pots. But if you only have 1 port, there's a good chance it's a modem.