• Win 98

Votes: 11 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiblet

Reaction score
Re: Which window you like most?

XP definitely beats 98 for me. Since the service packs came out, there is nothing to complain about! XP has better graphics, has more things supported, and has more security. It was like Vista is now back when it came out, but service packs fixed everything. I believe that Vista will kick XP off the market when the service packs are made.

~~B3N

fiijeff

Reaction score

Alright I only read through page 5 but have noticed that most of the posts have been repetitious. Basically people say that win98 is good for DOS games and was stable. And that winXP is faster, prettier, and has more compatibility. On a very surface level I will agree somewhat.

However, as to which OS would be preferred, you have to look at your application, and hardware.

If you have a Pll 233mhz cpu with 64mb of ram, win98 would be the obvious choice. Win98 was a solid OS after the many service packs, and hotfixes and tweaks had been applied. I in fact still have an original win98se CD from M$. It can be stripped down to fit onto a 32mb cf-card to run as an imbedded OS. It can be used to bring that old laptop back to life for your kids to play on. As a matter of fact I used to work at a public library that ran win98se on a number of its computers up until about a year ago. Win98 still has its uses believe it or not. Although I will have to say its time as a traditional desktop OS has ended.

WinXP on the other hand is still running very strong. The same as win98, it was slow, buggy, all in all unfinished, when it first arrived on the market. However after 2 service packs, and god knows how many hotfixes and tweaks, winXP is a sleek stable workhorse. I personally run my winXP without any of the visual effects and mostly classic win2K views. WinXP, as most have said is much more compatible than its much older sibling. With uPnP, wizards to walk you through everything but typing in your password, an on disk cache of device drivers, ntfs, and many many other little things that most people don't even realize. Tiny utilities like netsh to configure the guts of your networking. WinXP can run any windows or dos based program I've put into it, either through compatability mode, or emulators. It can look as pretty, or as boring as you like.

I personally pick winXP for all of those reasons and more. The most evil part of winXP is explorer.exe. However if you do the research and put a little time into it. You can run windows without it. ;)

Want to know how? I'm not stingy with my knowledge. Just send me a message.

islamis4u

Reaction score

i don't know why people say that win 98 was sluggish i don't even know why but as far as im concerned win98 was way faster then xp, i can't say anythin more

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score

If I click cancel at the 98 logon screen, I become DEFAULT user. If I change the user field to Administrator in XP, I become Administrator. Security is non-existent in both, but XP is easier to break into remotely. XP wins bc of features.

excid3

Reaction score

Well since M$ isnt supporting 98 anymore I'd have to say XP. Almost any application will run on XP...98 not so much...XP has WAY more features that are useful too...kinda bloated but its aight.

UBUNTU IS WHERE ITS AT :D

islamis4u

Reaction score

im now very much into graphic designing also so i also do have problems the corel draw 13 do not support 98 although i have both windows but still i wanted to start it in 98 but it was all invain

tgkprog

Reaction score

xp and before that 2000 and before that nt and before that linux 98 - give me 25 mins and i crash it ... with quick movements more than 5 windows open ... and it caves in

Jesse

Reaction score

Windows XP is Better. But today i use vista.

khanhduy301

Reaction score

I prefer windows XP over windows 98. Because windows 98 does not support multi core Cpu.

But windows vista is my favorite. It run faster than XP with my Q6600 CPU.

Drakotsu

Reaction score

Windows 98 is a old base and doesnt look too good. Might not take up too much space but the load is slow.

Windows XP may take up alot but the look is good. The load is pretty decent, the programs simple yet great.

I would definatly prefer XP over 98 any day. :)

islamis4u

Reaction score

now i see may edited xp versions are sold in ma country which i derived from xp but is ot originally from xp

satbir

Reaction score

I said Windows 2000 or NT as best because that is when killing a process task manager became easy. If something is hanging just go and kill it and it used to do smoothly in 2000/NT however in Xp this is not smooth and some time even task manager does not come up.

fitzysit

Reaction score

Windows XP !!!!! i have both but i prefer xp because of the following reasons
- Its Stable
- Reliable
- Secure (somewhat)
- Fast
- windows 2k based
what more could you ask for in a computer it also looks better then 98

islamis4u

Reaction score

can anybody tell me why most of the users say that xp is more fast i can't believe it how can it be.

scummerz

Reaction score

is windows 98 the windows operatin system from 1998, it isn't better then anything but 95, 3.0, 2.0, 1.0 and every single type of mac

Eric@TLG

Reaction score

no contest xp for sure. its just an overall great OS it has its flaws like any other but still a great OS.

Daniel S

Reaction score

I prefer to use windows xp with service pack two installed as most programs are compatable with it and microsoft still supports it windows xp is also very fast and stable

otherside

Reaction score

I like how Vista wasn't even put into the equation. I think its obvious its XP though. It was a good improvement on 98, and looks great in comparison.

voice

Reaction score

I suppose I prefer XP for all of its compatibility and such. Of course, my computer is (more or less) just a glorified typewriter as far as I'm concerned, I do miss 3.1x. 3.1x never crashed on me, there were never blue screens, and (unlike XP) I could easily operate it sans mouse if I wished. I really prefer not to use a mouse if i can help it, and XP makes that a somewhat difficult, if not nearly impossible, task. Of course, by all accounts, I'm really much too young to hold this particular opinion, so I guess just stick to the part where I praised XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.