Who killed x10 forums?

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
Back in the day these were very active forums, now there seems to be days without new posts-- who the hell turned out the lights? ;)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
YOU DID RUSS. DAMNIT.

and to think we've been celebrating Internal Russ Appreciation Day....

phoebex2

Reaction score
That is not dead which can eternally allow new signups.
And in strange eons, even slow forums can be active.

wwinter

Reaction score
Since there is no need to login to forum every month.....

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Back in the day....I remember back then, good times. ;)

phoebex2

Reaction score
Well, at least the place isn't overrun with people saying things like, "i agree" or "that is most intriguing, cheap v1agra ci@lis rolex watches cheap purses shoes."

Quality over quantity has to count for something, right?

rhaven

Reaction score
Since there is no need to login to forum every month.....
Yep, this is the main reason most likely. It used to be required to sign into the forums at least once a month - which I think bred more people to actually use them. Now, it's not a requirement, and people probably don't realize the forums even exist :/

phoebex2

Reaction score
Or they only use it to ask for support, when that's just a portion of the forum.

I've never understood that, only using a forum to ask for help and only checking it to see if someone has posted a solution to a problem. If one spends enough time hanging out with people who do the same stuff they do, everyone gets smarter about the stuff they do. This makes for fewer newby-type problems, and cuts down on the amount of repetitive posting about the same old issues.

I also notice that a lot of the foul-weather visitors, like the ones who only speak up when something's broken, don't even bother reading anything but their own threads. Like most free hosting users, I had a few hangups when I first made my account, but reading the forum and the wiki helped me solve them myself.

Ten or twenty new threads about the same issues just makes it harder for the people who volunteer their time in helping to... well, help.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a lot of that, people only coming around when they need something to be fixed for them, preferably before it was even reported as broken...

And while 10-20 threads of the same issue is a bit overkill (if you see more then 5 saying the same thing it is likely server wide, opening another one won't get it sorted faster), in most cases we want them to make their own thread instead of jumping along saying I have the same problem, especially since the OP might have had his issue resolved (sometimes they come into irc and refer to their posts), as that could cause your issue to get a bit buried with newer threads, or the symptom might be similar but the actual issue completely different.

I agree though that the shifted login requirement to a large extent has lowered the overall activity. There's however a lot more to this forum then just the support section, most people haven't realized that I suppose. I will admit though that I'm not really taking much part in making it active since generally I don't divulge much into other sections than support...

phoebex2

Reaction score
It seems a little livelier than when I first showed up, at least.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I blame that new manager of office supplies and pens. There aren't enough pens to write all the posts.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
On my way

office_worker_holding_lots_of_pens_IS758-022.jpg

We have PLENTY of pens. Just got a shipment yesterday.

2014-02-12_1547.png

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Good one, soon we'll have enough pens to write then :)

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
The real question, is who ate all the goddamn x10 Pizza from the break room?!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
oopsss... sorry I got hungry and was to lazy to cook

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Clearly the Manager of Pens and Office Supplies should distribute pens using the much more efficient Amazon drones.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
i used to come on to here all the time but now it is so boring i can't even contribute like requested anymore.