!!!! The NEW Biggest thread !!!!

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
In theory being staff it should be way more.
But miss one day and it damages the average badly.
Well there are more than enough support posts to get it there. Its just having the answers to all the questions is a little more challenging.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
My Website (Earthime Games) gets around 140-150 unique hits a month, which I think is quite good.

I think, based on what I'm getting daily (40-50 hits per day) I get around 1350 hits a month (45 * 30). Not sure about uniques because it's only been a couple of weeks since the site migration was finished. How many games you got at the minute TechAsh? And, if you don't me asking, do you use any addons for Joomla! to manage them, or do you just manually add the embed code? Don't answer if you don't want to lol.

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
tnl2k7 said:
I think, based on what I'm getting daily (40-50 hits per day) I get around 1350 hits a month (45 * 30). Not sure about uniques because it's only been a couple of weeks since the site migration was finished. How many games you got at the minute TechAsh? And, if you don't me asking, do you use any addons for Joomla! to manage them, or do you just manually add the embed code? Don't answer if you don't want to lol.
I've only got 17 games at the moment, but I plan on adding a lot more soon.

No, I don't use any add-ons to manage the games because I haven't found one that works reliably enough.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
Well.... I'm here on my chair reading this and trying to avoid spamming here saying a nonsense sencence like I'm doing ^^
-------

Out of jokes.... This friday I'm going to dublin!! It's in Ireland ( I live in Spain)
It will be my first travel by plane... I'm nervous :) And Happy

Ugh, plane travel sucks :rant2: !

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Since when have got a tiny link service on JAGF.

some months ago. I installed it as a test only and it makes smaller links than tinyurl so I use it instead lol.

haha windows trying to force me to update but I won't because I should reinstall my comp today.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
No, I don't use any add-ons to manage the games because I haven't found one that works reliably enough.

That's one of the reasons I wrote the arcade stuff from scratch. The scripts already out there are either a mess or just don't work. I've made a lot of small hacks to it though, so I'm rewriting it now. It was only supposed to be a test but people from school kept nagging me to put it up so I did in the end. Now it's turned into my main project and got me obsessed with PHP.

All you need to do is get a MySQL database set up to hold your game names, types, descriptions and whatever, then create a folder on the filesystem to hold the game files. Have a basic file upload page to make the folder for the game files and upload them and a mysql_query to add the data et voila, easy to add games.

I've started adding bug trackers and stuff in too now, just to complicate things that little bit more lol. But yeah, it's easy stuff really.

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I ma try to code everything myself sometime, but for now I'm happy with using Joomla. It would be quite a big project and I'm just not sure I can be bothered at the moment (Although it would be worthwhile).

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I always use ready software for my site. I make some changes like installing a mod or something. If I learn PHP someday I maybe do it myself.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I want to learn PHP, and I think something like coding a games arcade would be a good way to learn. But I'm not sure I would know where to begin, and I'm sure I would get bored or frustrated halfway through and it'll be abandoned.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Being frustrated 24/7 is a good way to tell you're a programmer. There's always something irritating me about everything I develop, like something that isn't finished or that could be done better. I drive myself bonkers trying to organise things neatly in folders to make things easier to manage too.

PHP is well worth learning, I'm glad I started and glad I've carried on. Now that I know more, I'm rewriting the old code with better practices and a tidier layout. Just try making basic scripts first, get used to MySQL query syntax and move on from there. There's nothing you can't do with PHP/MySQL and a few custom functions.

-Luke.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ahhhhh Fresh windows XP. I just hate installing all drivers and programs again. It's so annoying. You never know what to download first and find yourself downloading torrents when you forgot to download the antivirus :S

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
You never know what to download first and find yourself downloading torrents when you forgot to download the antivirus :S
Now that is a very bad idea. I hate re-installing Windows, My Internet connection isn't great so it takes hours to download and install all the patches etc.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
My Internet connection isn't great so it takes hours to download and install all the patches etc.

You think yours is bad..... I can get a massive 7mbps upload speed, and an uber crap 500kB/s download. God knows what the hell BT have done to our lines, but they've severely broken something. I've spoken to them loads about it, but the lazy, rude, arrogant staff there can't get their fat butts off their seats to fix it. BT SUCK!

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
You think yours is bad..... I can get a massive 7mbps upload speed, and an uber crap 500kB/s download. God knows what the hell BT have done to our lines, but they've severely broken something. I've spoken to them loads about it, but the lazy, rude, arrogant staff there can't get their fat butts off their seats to fix it. BT SUCK!
Well at least you can upload changes to your website really fast. lol

Not all of BT suck, just there Broadband. I did two weeks work experience with their Wireless Solutions team which was really interesting.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I suppose. I intend to move the sites off x10Hosting soon and run them from a server on this PC, but it would seem I can't afford it for now. I'm just sick of being suspended for high resource usage for serving plain HTML files (that's happened 3 times, no PHP at all). And as soon as is possible, I intend to rid this house of anything BT related an go to Virgin. They're retarded, but they beat BT hands down.

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I use Demon for my Broadband. They are smaller than BT, Virgin, etc. so they aren't being forced to sign loads of agreements, and I don't think they will be involved in putting lots of restrictions on the Internet.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a swedish operaror called Bredbandsbolaget. I get 14 Mbps down and 800 kbps up. For you in the UK and some other countrys that have heird of Telenor as it is Telenor who owns Bredbandsbolaget.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would advise against starting something as intense and complex as a game arcade if you are starting out with php. It is very easy to go wrong with.
Like tnl says, start out small. Put some basic functions together to get used to the syntax. Try and keep your code clean and easily navigated 'cause before you know it you have 600+ lines of it and you can get easily lost. I advise trying to learn OOP, I didn't start out with it and found it very confusing at first, but one day it just clicked and now I find its the only way to go. Regarding MySQL, it is a very basic db structure, the only problems with a database is working out what you want from it. They, like php can get big very quick and if you haven't sat down before and thought about what it servers to do you will have a mess on your hands.
Any program/system/website is only as good as the pre-thought/planning.