!!!! The NEW Biggest thread !!!!

DarthVadre

Reaction score
Current weather: Cold (darn coldfront came in just a few days ago)
Mood: Bored enough to post in these forums.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You've got to come here more lol.

Mitch

Reaction score
I am a big Stargate fan! I have that movie in Blu-Ray quality sitting in one of my hard drives from an Internet Buy and download I did. By the way, put fmt=18 at the end of all YouTube videos, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkbA7jVMQs&fmt=18

I know that from &fmt=18. I am a stargate fan too. You need to click try the beta youtube player to get the player changed. The next stargate film is cool too. With Jack O'Neill. !!! (Richard Dean Anderson)

Stargate: Continuum Teaser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEk_8Lpg8Vo

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I had already done that, and the new player does look cool.

kkenny

Reaction score
The new player is just ok for my opinion and or tastes ;P

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Hopefully this player won't be as glitchy. YouTube did have several glitchy ones since I first got DSL here.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I had dial-up starting from 1998 when I first got a computer that could do internet. Back then, all I could get at my older house was at most 33.6kbps, which wasn't bad considering the age of the lines out there (and 8+ miles of wire to Verizon's RT down the road). My new house is right next to a very new remote terminal which is serviced by fiber optic(was built around the time the development I'm in was put in), and my house is right next to it. When we moved, we saw that we had a need for high speed as the rest of the neighbors had Adelphia Powerlink (when they existed), and a few who had DSL, so we dumped AOL and got Verizon DSL 3 years after moving 2 miles away nearly, which was cheaper than our AOL per month. Afterwards, we had a need for more bandwidth (mainly because of me), so we got 3Mbps/768kbps, and then later on, we still had a need for bandwidth, so we moved up to 7.1Mbps/1.5Mbps* when Verizon moved residential tiers like that out here, note that the star is there because I had my upload boosted, and now I'm just awaiting FiOS which will be arriving very soon to get even more bandwidth (up to 100Mbps/50Mbps*?) if they move speeds past 30Mbps/15Mbps for my area.

So yeah, I went from dial-up to DSL, and then in the future, to fiber optic.

Last edited:

mcklovin

Reaction score
Just adding to the largest thread and looking over the page I realize I really need to make a sig, lol.

hopper

Reaction score
in response to smith6612
you thing 33.6 dialup was bad, when i first started using a computer there WAS no internet, just a collection of BBSes
as for my first modem
try 2400 BAUD, a simple .gif or .jpeg took 15-20+ minutes to download, forget .avi .mpeg .wmv etc..
mmorpgs were impossilbe, however there were MUDs and MORPGs
i remember my first 28.8K seemed blazing fast by comparison to my 2400
now i have 228K dsl, still not horrendously fast but still better then 2400 baud by a long long long long shot

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I should have 24 MBPS but I only get 13 MBPS

My ISP has improved because I usually got 6 MBPS before

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
in response to smith6612
you thing 33.6 dialup was bad, when i first started using a computer there WAS no internet, just a collection of BBSes
as for my first modem
try 2400 BAUD, a simple .gif or .jpeg took 15-20+ minutes to download, forget .avi .mpeg .wmv etc..
mmorpgs were impossilbe, however there were MUDs and MORPGs
i remember my first 28.8K seemed blazing fast by comparison to my 2400
now i have 228K dsl, still not horrendously fast but still better then 2400 baud by a long long long long shot

I've used 2800 baud like speeds before. It totally sucked. I had to use my web server as a proxy and have it load everything up as text and relay it to me one time (I was out in farm land for a few hours when I did this, phone lines are a load of crap! Connection was at 1kbps :O, stupid loud buzzing noise on the phone line which I'm suprised the modem was able to connect through). For me, running 7.1Mbps (7100K) DSL and going to dial-up? Forget it :biggrin: , and I do get the 7.1 Mbps all the time day and night.

Last edited:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm lucky if I get 1 MB/S, BT (British Telecom) suck entirely and so I never get my promised 8MB lol.

Oh well, I'll survive for a while longer I suppose =[

-Luke.