!!!! The NEW Biggest thread !!!!

LHVWB

Reaction score
And yet the other 3 computers in the house kind of sit around running :p.

Yeah, I have 4 computers also, but two of them are laptops and they are pretty useless for what I want to do. :happysad:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good linux install that I can put on a fairly old laptop with about 256mb of RAM (hopefully being upgraded to 1gb) and a terrible CPU?

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
DSL (Damn Small Linux) Might do, but it's like Windows 3.x in my opinion.

LHVWB

Reaction score
DSL (Damn Small Linux) Might do, but it's like Windows 3.x in my opinion.

Okay thanks I've used that on my usb key but it wouldn't work, I am currently using OpenSuse, but I think I might swap over to ubuntu because I can't file sharing to work with my windows xp computers.

medphoenix

Reaction score
Trying to finish a game programming in visual studio 2005...On the leisure time posting here.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
What do you want us to reply with pavementpitch? You need to make a post that has more than one word in it!

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol i am writing from my sony ericsson k660i now.

I am helping my friend with reinstalling his comp. He got a blue screen during the install :/

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Blue Screens suck. Speaking of blue screens, I've been seeming to find that with a lot of Intel Graphics Card drivers on Windows XP (the ones that come with the computer, not the up to date ones), apparently it's causing the computer to crash if you press Ctrl + Alt + Up/Down arrow or you try to play videos with a bitrate higher than 500kbps on some older Dell systems.

LHVWB

Reaction score
Blue Screens suck. Speaking of blue screens, I've been seeming to find that with a lot of Intel Graphics Card drivers on Windows XP (the ones that come with the computer, not the up to date ones), apparently it's causing the computer to crash if you press Ctrl + Alt + Up/Down arrow or you try to play videos with a bitrate higher than 500kbps on some older Dell systems.

Interesting, none of my computers ever seem to get the blue screen of death any more, instead they just reboot for no good reason. :happysad:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I remember my old gaming computer doing that. It would happen whenever I overclocked the system too much (which I don't do to my current gaming system now since it's very fast) and I utilized the CPU for 10 seconds fully :p. Otherwise, I've never had a BSOD, except back when I had Windows 98 >.<

like2program

Reaction score
I think it's just fun to overclock things.

"Here's my computer. It's has an ASUS motherboard, 8800GT, surround sound and an overclocked Dual Core Processor."

See? Overclocked makes it cooler. ( and if it's cooler, it's more fun to use )

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
how do you overclock it?

If you have some special hardware in your computr which is usually built into the motherboard, you can use the system BIOS or a program to overclock it. Most systems, unless they are a bit more expensive/made for gaming won't have this ability. Gaming computers (thousand dollar machines +) will be able to do this.

LHVWB

Reaction score
If you have some special hardware in your computr which is usually built into the motherboard, you can use the system BIOS or a program to overclock it. Most systems, unless they are a bit more expensive/made for gaming won't have this ability. Gaming computers (thousand dollar machines +) will be able to do this.

Is there actually any point in overclocking your computer? I have never bothered because I can't see the point.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
There is a purpose for it, getting more speed out of your computer than what the factory originally had it at. At the cost of heat and the life of your hardware, you can overclock them to make them run faster for short amounts of time. Very useful if you have a slow computer but want to run some intense games.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Don't overclock it too high! Do it slowly until it starts to get too warm/gets unstable, then step it down a bit. That way, you won't damage the computer.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
lol I got banned for a week on another forum for spamming their spam thread :/